2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 A/C Compressor not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Beginning Member
johnn is on a distinguished road

i figure it is too, but it should go through the summer, was working yesterday, i have no power to the low pressure cut off, which i think is my problem, just dont know where to go correct that, all fuses have continuity and i cant see a relay going out not being used.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 PM
VonBerry is on a distinguished road

well...if the fuses and relays all check ok, and the compressor doesnt turn on even when jumped by the battery, and if there is freon in the system im not sure what else there would be to do

Old 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member

was trying to get the compressor turning to add freon, i just changed the evap core and pulled vaccuum to make sure everything was leak free.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:22 PM

hmm well i just ran everything you said to me by my dad and he said if you arent leaking freon and the compressor wont turn on with the battery, then your compressor is shot >.<

Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Beginning Member

ask him why i would have no power to the low pressure cut off switch on the compressor if you dont mind

Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
Default update

ok i got the compressor turning, no idea how, but i started to add refridgerant and the pressure seemed kinda high, i had my wife hold rpm's about 2000, and started charging, pressure was about 60 acccording to gauge ste from local autoparts store, but i had only put in one can of r-134 system was empty to start, had just pulled vaccuum, air temp from vents got down to 75 degrees and then started warming up, so against better judgment brought pressure back down to 40 and air got even hotter, i never even got to the amount of r-134 the system needs according to the placard under the hood, should i have kept adding r-134 and would the pressure have come back down or do i have another problem, as i stated in original post it was blowing cold air prior to start of project just not much, the evap core was plugged with trash and debris.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 PM

well i guess the thing i need to ask is, how much freon did you add?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Beginning Member

less than two 12 ounce cans

Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member
Default boy do i feel dumb

ok i think i have figured out why my a/c wasnt cooling down, i will just say an orifice tube is probably a good idea. from the little research i did i didnt discover that the orifice tube was in the end of the inlet on the evap. i did a lil more looking today and figured a change on the accumulator and orifice tube was a good idea due to some other stuff i read, so i wnet looking for the orifice tube. i figured the accumulator change because i dont know how long it had been on there and it seems every three years is a good time and my system had been open for about 3 hours and its pretty humid here in north texas right now and the orifice because it should go with the accumulator. well i have a new accumulat0r and orifice on order at the local parts house and it will be in tomorrow. boy do i feel dumb.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:55 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I think you're still going to have low air flow. That's the blower system not the A/C. Good idea on changing the tube though. As far as the accumulator if you hold vacuum on it long enough it'll bil the moisture out of the system but when you have the system open that long it probably wasn't a bad idea to change it anyway.

Quick Reply: 1996 A/C Compressor not turning on