2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 Chevy Blazer will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Beginning Member
GMJim3687 is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah almost forgot. To take the dist. Out it should be a t15 to take the cap off. And a 13 mm to take the hold down off. But be very cautious in taking it out. Because if your off a tooth when you put it back in. Your deff gonna have issues starting. It can be a little tricky lining the gear and the oil pump up. Just make sure you mark where the rotor is pointing before you take it out. And mark where it's pointing when you pull it out. This way when you put it back it. Start at mark 2 and when it's seated. It should point at mark one. If it's not working out. You have to get a long flat blade screwdriver a mirror and a light so you can see the oil pump drive to turn it where the dist will fit perfectly in there.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
kwhite96 is on a distinguished road
Default fixed

Thanks everyone for all the posts. My blazer is fixed I didn't check the coil myself so I just assumed being that the person that checked it for me has been around vehicles his whole life that it had no spark. I towed it into the shop just to have them look at it and tell me what was wrong. I was very happy to learn that a new set of plugs,cap,rotor took care of the problem. My plugs gap was so far out and fuel fouled no wonder it wouldn't run the cap was in just about as bad condition. Thanks again for all the great information

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member
GMJim3687 is on a distinguished road

Yay! im sorry you got the runaround from a "bad coil" just remeber each problem is a learning experience. and always KISS(keep it simple stupid). glad to see you got the blazer back up and running..

Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kwhite96
Thanks everyone for all the posts. My blazer is fixed

glad to see you got her fixed, and that it was only a simple tune-up that was required. question is, when did you do the last one?

Originally Posted by GMJim3687
do you have power at the starter when cranking?? there should be a smaller gauge wire attatched to the solenoid of the starter. probably purple... tap a test light on it while starting and see if you have power there...the engine should still crank with the 1351 set..
the dis isnt hard to pull out. you have to take the cap off mark on the fire wall or engine where the rotor points to... pick it up from the base of the dist. and the rotor will spin. mark this is point two... do not attempt to turn over the motor.. b/c your oil pump is slotted for the dist.. and you might end up off a gear....
the p1351 is possibly in the coil control circuit. not the coil or dist. itself..if the signal of the ignition coil module exceeds 4.5v then itll set a fault.. so you could have a short to voltage somewhere in the harness and or connector.. or you could have an internal malfuntion in the coil module
But if the ckp sensor was faulty. Shouldnt it set atleast a p0336 or a different ckp code as well. The p1351 primarily is concerned with the ignition coil module.
Jim..........you really need to learn what that edit icon found on each of your posts is for.

and the torx screws are T20 for the cap itself, T15 for the rotor.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 AM
kwhite96 is on a distinguished road

I have only had the blazer just a little over a year. It was suppose to have had a tune up when I got it looks like that wasn't the case. Good to go now. It's a pretty nice vehicle and I got a very nice deal on it when I got it so I am not complaining. I like that KISS concept. (keep it simple stupid). Again thanks I have learned a lot this week.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kwhite96
I have only had the blazer just a little over a year. It was suppose to have had a tune up when I got it looks like that wasn't the case. Good to go now. It's a pretty nice vehicle and I got a very nice deal on it when I got it so I am not complaining. I like that KISS concept. (keep it simple stupid). Again thanks I have learned a lot this week.
that's why i always do a comlplete tune-up & change all fluids when ever i purchase another vehicle.

you can never believe what the seller is telling you. plus, you never know what crap product they may have chosen, just to sell the vehicle.

glad we could help you overcome your issues.