2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 Heater questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 05:15 AM
James Van Winkle is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 Heater questions

The blower motor has been shutting off and on intermittently, and now is not working. I have noticed the speed switch moves from high to low without any type of clicks or stops at the different speeds. Is this normal?

Just heard it wasn't working last night after dark so I have not been able to check anything yet. No garage and fresh snow on the ground. The wife tried moving the speed switch and banging on the dash, no changes. She is used to driving my Land Rover and it is a pile of bad connections so a tap on the dash is needed sometimes to make things work.

Only have had the truck fr a short time but it is a nice vehicle and should work well for a long time.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by James Van Winkle
The blower motor has been shutting off and on intermittently, and now is not working. I have noticed the speed switch moves from high to low without any type of clicks or stops at the different speeds. Is this normal?

Just heard it wasn't working last night after dark so I have not been able to check anything yet. No garage and fresh snow on the ground. The wife tried moving the speed switch and banging on the dash, no changes. She is used to driving my Land Rover and it is a pile of bad connections so a tap on the dash is needed sometimes to make things work.

Only have had the truck fr a short time but it is a nice vehicle and should work well for a long time.
How many miles does she have on her?If you don`t feel any clicks while moving the switch, if the blower is acting up while moving the switch,if it`s the original switch(that you know of) it`s just best to replace the switch with a new one all together.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The most common issue with the manual systems is the blower motor resistor pack. Fairly easy to test. Does the fan work on any speeds or is it completely dead? Have you tested for power and ground at the fan? Checked the blower motor relay? Checked the fuses?

Attached is the blower schematic for the 95-97 trucks. The switch is easy to check. Even if it is at fault, many have been able to disassemble the HVAC controls and affect repairs themselves rather than replace the entire unit which retails for well over $100!

Don't listen to TooCute, he doesn't have a clue on most things with these trucks. Recommending replacement over diagnosis is naive and can be costly to you. No sense replacing the entire controls if a $0.10 fuse was blown or there was a bad ground/wire.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Heater questions-95heater-1.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 12:43 PM

Truck has 153,000 miles and as far as I know, the heater components have not been touched. Previous Owner has done a lot of repairs and replacements and did an excellent job. Diagram is just what I needed! thanks, gonna go do some testing..

I kind of thought the switch should have some sort of a click for the different speeds, right now nothing works when it quits. Changing speed settings doesn't make any difference. I figured it could be the motor, or the switch, or something in the circuit, just not sure where to look without a manual or at least a wiring diagram. Gonna look for a shop or service manual next.

Last edited by James Van Winkle; 12-25-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:35 PM

OK... Got out to take a look.. fuse OK, 12v to blower motor, but No ground on black wire! Using the diagram, I see the wire is grounded behind the left head, which looks tough to get to. The ground at the relay is good so I assume it is between the motor and the relay splice. I decided to solder in a new ground wire and everything seems to be working. I have different speeds, but the switch still doesn't feel right. I will save that for a warmer day when I am not standing in a pile of snow. Thanks for the help! made things much easier!!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

The switch could just be old, If it still works I would not worry about how it feels since you only touch it when changing the setting.

If it really bothers you that much, you can hit up a pull it yard and ****** one out of there for super cheap

Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 PM

It is on the list... I noticed a lot of broken brittle plastic around the heater blower under the hood...