2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 "Jimmy" stall out????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 PM
pselby007@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 "Jimmy" stall out????

Having an issue with my 96 jimmy losing power while driving. Here is how it happens.....Vehicle starts and runs fine I can drive it "UNTIL" it reaches operating temp and then it appears. While driving it will all of a sudden fall on it's face ( power loss ) you can watch the rpm's steadily fall while doing so as if the vehicle has shut down. Now if you remove your foot from the gas and punch it it will pick back up momentarily but fall right back down after a few seconds. I have recently been through "Testing" the Map , Egr , and Tps which all according to testing appear to be fine , good ground , power, signal, etc. I even went as far as replacing the Tps as I had an issue once before with this one. Soooo "IF" I unplug the Tps the vehicle will NOT act up but makes shifting and mpg horrible. I'm NOT getting ANY codes. I had this same issue about a year ago and have retraced my steps but just can't pin point the issues. The last time this happened I "May" have gotten lucky as I went over a yr without issue but the "Bitch" is back!! There is one other thing I need to mention..I had an issue with the coil shorting from a faulty coil/boot that caused the same issue but it would do this sitting OR driving while this latest issue is ONLY driving and ONLY when it reaches temp. ANY thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as to possible causes or something I maybe overlooking...........Meanwhile I will continue to beat my head on the hood!!! THANKS P.S I HAVE NOT checked to see if it is the "COIL" when it reaches temp will do so just to eliminate possibility.

Last edited by pselby007@yahoo.com; 11-29-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-29-2014, 02:24 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pselby007@yahoo.com
Having an issue with my 96 jimmy losing power while driving. Here is how it happens.....Vehicle starts and runs fine I can drive it "UNTIL" it reaches operating temp and then it appears. While driving it will all of a sudden fall on it's face ( power loss ) you can watch the rpm's steadily fall while doing so as if the vehicle has shut down. Now if you remove your foot from the gas and punch it it will pick back up momentarily but fall right back down after a few seconds. I have recently been through "Testing" the Map , Egr , and Tps which all according to testing appear to be fine , good ground , power, signal, etc. I even went as far as replacing the Tps as I had an issue once before with this one. Soooo "IF" I unplug the Tps the vehicle will NOT act up but makes shifting and mpg horrible. I'm NOT getting ANY codes. I had this same issue about a year ago and have retraced my steps but just can't pin point the issues. The last time this happened I "May" have gotten lucky as I went over a yr without issue but the "Bitch" is back!! There is one other thing I need to mention..I had an issue with the coil shorting from a faulty coil/boot that caused the same issue but it would do this sitting OR driving while this latest issue is ONLY driving and ONLY when it reaches temp. ANY thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as to possible causes or something I maybe overlooking...........Meanwhile I will continue to beat my head on the hood!!! THANKS P.S I HAVE NOT checked to see if it is the "COIL" when it reaches temp will do so just to eliminate possibility.
I think a good place to start would be by doing a fuel pressure checkthere are many issues with the fuel system on these trks!!!!! Seeing how there aren't any stored codes , I would start there....... Do a search for fuel system diagnosis then follow the procedure to a T.......

Old 11-29-2014, 03:28 PM
pselby007@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Ok will give it a run over haven't checked it yet....Last time I did had good pressure (was in the psi zone for this vehicle ) also at that time I cleaned the spider system and replaced the regulator but this has been at least 1-2 yrs ago...Have never changed the sending unit but it seems weird that it would only act up when warm if it is possibly the issue.....Also if this (fuel system) is the issue how would unplugging the tps "stop" it from interfering with drivability? "IF" I was able to get a "Scanner" with "Live" data capabilities do you think it would show?? being it doesn't throw a code?? Thanks

Last edited by pselby007@yahoo.com; 11-29-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Pre thanks
Old 11-29-2014, 08:03 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

U can do a snap throttle test, to check voltage output......I'm not not sure maybe a coincidence????? Have u tested the ignition control module? Those can Give u issues when they go bad......have u looked for broken wires??? Any chaffing on wires?