2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1997 LT 4WD Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006 | 05:02 PM
bluegrass_man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1997 LT 4WD Question

Hello fellow Blazer owners . I'm sure this has been asked many times . I poked around but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for . I'm interested in buying rims and tires for my Blazer . I'm going to stick to 15in rims . I was looking @ the Weld 198 Prostar XP . I'd like to go as wide as possible without going past the fender . I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on tire size and max wheel width . They do offer a 6.5 back-spacing in the 10 in. rim . I'd also like to use a 50 series
BFG TA on the rear . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks , jp

Old 03-31-2006 | 12:17 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1997 LT 4WD Question

First the easy part, the Weld wheels will work just fine.

Now the hard part, in general you should never go any bigger than 33" for a daily driver how ever with any change in size (height) you should have the gearing changed in order for you to keep the orginal power and power/rpm ratio. You will also have to re-program the computer,and install heavy duty steering stabilizers and might have to get other hvy duty steering & suspension components. You may even need a body lift depending on size. If you are going this route, here is a formula you can use:

new tire size(height) / stock tire size = % of change X original gear ratio = new gear ratio

for example: 33 / 31 = 1.07 X 3.42 = 3.65

the new ratio will always bigger than the old (of course), even though there may not be a 3.65 available you can go the next closest size, say 3.73. You can use the next 8 gearsizes depending what you want to accomplish like the lower end will be good fuel economy, in the middle will be daily driver best over all, and high end towing and power poor fuel economy.

One other thing, there are states that limit the size of lift you can install, some thing you might want to ck on.

Now if it is just the width you want to change. the BFG site gives the actual measurements of the tire, from this you can measure the extreme right and left turn measurements to make sure you do not touch. As for the offset you will probably not be concerned with this, since you do not want the tires to go past the fender.

If you do decide on big, with an offset, your main concern will be the steering and suspension components in relation to the wheel, you do not want them to touch (of course), but I would not want them any closer then stock.

My guess is that you would be looking for 10.5". If you have a reasonable width increase then you will not have to worry about the computer, supension, steering (you may want a hvy duty steering stabilizer though). I should mention two things, first your max load weight will change and second your foot print (the distance between the outside tire edges) will be greater. The load will probably be lower but the wider foot print, will change the center of gravity making you more stable (good).

I know it is alot for just putting bigger tires on, but the more info you have means that you can make the best choice.