2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1998 Blazer electrical problem-please help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:23 PM
mrartie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1998 Blazer electrical problem-please help.

I have a 1998 Blazer that all the dash lights will come on and sometimes it dies but will start right back up. Sometimes when I get in it in the morning the clock is wrong.

Today when I started it, the dash lights came on but it continued to run and after about a quarter mile they went off. Then the power windows would not work-except for the driver side-it still worked.

About 20 miles later I parked it for about 15 minutes, got back in and they all worked. After I was home a few hours I drove to the store(all was fine)picked up a couple of things and got in and I had nothing-as if the battery was dead. I went all the way back and forth with the keys about a half dozen times and then it started and ran great.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm disabled with a back injury and really need to see if me andmy dad can fix this.

Please stay safe folks, Art.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:48 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 1998 Blazer electrical problem-please help.

The first thing you want to check is the connections at the battery for any corrosion and for a good tight connection.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:23 AM

I'll check them tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:33 AM
berniescout is an unknown quantity at this point

if it were a 97 i would suggest checking the ignition switch. all kinds of electric problems associated with it. also do you have an electric drivers seat. i had a direct intermittant short inside the seat (wires going to the switches on the side) on the 97 they are not fused but protected by a circuit breaker. since it is nto a 97 i would still check into it

Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 PM

The battery cables are tight and clean. It does have an electric drivers seat. I checked several fuses and all are good.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:51 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I hate intermittent electrical problems!
My next guess would be to check the connections at the VCM, located under the hood by the right fender.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/1F3AA231843244E2AD23DBCD84000507.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-26-2006, 03:13 PM

I checked the top 2. The right one has a little residue on the plugin. It started to rain so I'll check the others tomorrow.

The water pump is leaking so I'm going to use a friend's garageso my dad and I canreplace it.

This has been a solid Blazer for me. I bought it with 16,000 miles on it(75,000 now)and only had to replace a couple of things. The wipers-pulse board I did a couple of months ago.

I'll post tomorrow what I find.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:36 PM

I put the new waterpump on and cleaned the other two VCM imputs and the ground cable to the fuse relay box as well.

It has not done it since Christmas day. I guess that's a good sign-I hope anyway.

Thanks a bunch folks and stay safe this New Years!

Old 01-02-2007, 02:56 PM
chevy_kalle is an unknown quantity at this point

Mines a 97, and ive got a very similar problem, when i turn the key on (without cranking) the radio comes on, but no lights on the dash. I can crank the engine, but thats no use. It used to be like this for 5 seconds every time i turned the car on, but now i cant get it to power up at all... could it be the ignition switch? Did your radio come on Mrartie? I've cleaned the battery connections and just about every cable ive found, even the VCM module, yet nothing seems to help.. any ideas?[]

Old 01-02-2007, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the ignition switch.
Did you also clean the starter connections?

Quick Reply: 1998 Blazer electrical problem-please help.