2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer 4x4 light blink, No engage ? Stumped and going crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 AM
lushdrunk is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Blazer 4x4 light blink, No engage ? Stumped and going crazy!

Ive got a 1999 s10 blazer and the 4x4 does not work. When I press the 4x4 buttons (low or high) the light blinks for a little wile and goes back to 2wd.

I read online that this issue is sometimes caused by the control box in the passenger kick panel. It can get corrosion in the connections or can have damaged wires. I removed the control box and checked the wires and cleaned the connectors and they where fine. When I conected the control box back up and tired to engage four wheel drive again the control box made a clicking sound wile the 4x4 light flashed. After about 4 or 5 clicks it stopped and the light went back to 2wd.

I tried it again and got nothing but the light flashing. I repeted the steps above a few time and everytime the control box was unhooked and conected back it would click on the 1st time only. 2nd time would be the flashing lights again .

So what should I check next? The T-case motor? Or start looking for a vacume leak? or what? Also if it is the T-case eletric motor, can it be rebuilt, or made to work in any way? I dont want to pay $250 for 4x4.

Thanks for your time! (pointless I know, I just like that smilie)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 AM
ZR2Daddy01 is on a distinguished road

I had 100% the same exact problem when I bought my Z. I ended up rewiring a new tccm harness with enough wire to mount it in my glove box, replaced all the vac lines and picked up another tccm from the bone yard. Not sure if it was the tccm at all but since the rewire and swap I've had zero problems. Out of curiosity i think one of these days i'll plug the old one back in and see if she's shot. Does your service 4wd light come on at all?

Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM

No service 4wd light. I was unaware their was one.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
89s10blazin is on a distinguished road
Default fluid?

hey buddy, just in case, have u checked the fluid? lack of fluid can deffinitly cause this problem, also the eaziest fix. just watch what you use to top it up if need be, you are suposed to use a special GM oil. good luck. theres another link on here about bypassing the actuator with a cable.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 AM

You talking about the fluid in the transmission on the transfer case ?

How do you check the Transfer case fluid? I'm going to guess it is the same as a manual transmission??
If the fluid was low, shouldn't I hear the transfer case tring to lock up? Or have some kind of warning lamp on?

Are they anyway to check the 4x4 system Like ODB II ?

What are the symptoms of the transfer case electric motor being bad? This thing dont seem like it is doing anything. The light flashes a few times, then nothing. Oh the ABS light is on if that makes any differance.

This is the first 4x4 ive ever owned. I'm a corvette guy.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Beginning Member
cardude59 is on a distinguished road

hi: i know i'm new but i had the same flashing light on my 96 and when checking the system i found the vacumm hose off the actuator under the battery box....a little silicone gasket sealer and stuck hose on and now it works fine. you can also check that the cable is good at this point by squeezing the actuator by hand. good luck

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 AM

The drain plug and fill plugs are on the back side of the transfer case. Take the fill plug out and stick your finger in there you want the fluid to be up near the fill hole. If you have a 4 button 4wd you need to use autotrac II fluid, one of the favorite dealer part only at $7 a quart. As for the abs ive never encountered 4wd issues with the abs light on but i never tried to use 4wd with abs issues. The only thing i know of is the tech 2 scanner and that thing can scan everything. All i did was roll the window down with the truck off to see if the encoder was working or be under it while someone else shifts the t-case. After my rewire too i noticed the corrosion was creapin up under the insulation causing the no power to the solenoid on the fire wall.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my truck when I had it lifted. The light would blink for a bit when switching from 2W to 4H and then switch back to 2W w/o ever going into 4H. Seems one of the actuator lines got kinked when they installed the lift. They unkinked the line and it has worked fine ever since.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM

OK, I removed the battery and found the actuator. It moves freely and seems fine. I don't really know how to check them other then to make sure they move.

BUT When I blow into the vac hose I can hear air coming out behind the distributor. Could this be my problem? I traced the line as far as I could see and could not see an end to it. Where does it go?? I need to find the other end of it, or it is going to be a major PITA to replace.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 PM

If you have the 4 button 4wd, the vaccum line from the actuator should run right to the solenoid on the firewall, if the three button i believe it runs right to the t-case.