2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Zr2 is not in the mood to START man

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Josh2012 is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Zr2 is not in the mood to START man

Hey guys- thanks in advance for reading! 99' Zr2 has been running shaggy for a couple weeks. This problem seems to progress as (at first) it would make a faint popping sound when the throttle was slightly let off on the interstate (non-stock exhaust made the pop/lapse). No sweat I could deal. This continues until I experience spittin' and spattin' on cold starts (no irregular idle and started right up everytime)---> BUT was hesitant with accel. at low speeds and the exhaust would like bubble or fart or some ****... After warming; runs well. If It's been running for 20-30, parked and sits for a couple hours it's groovy dude.

About a week ago I let the blaze sit for one day and I couldn't get it started the following. The exhaust would like HUFF or something like it's trying and would **** out a little gas that would reek and collect on the pipe... But wouldn't start-- tried till battery died (I was easy on the starter so it wouldn't fry)... Put it on a charge and the next day it took some doing but I got her going. Then it seemed like she always spit and spat (never smoothed out like before but not unbearable). Like the exhaust only sounded bad, didn't ride bad. Weather seems to play a role too.

CURRENTLY

I let her sit for a cpl days and today she barely huffed or puffed for life (less too as I tried) just kept turning with no hope. Tried Jumping from another truck (even tho my batt was 100%), starter fluid and un-clamping intake to prevent breathing restrictions. NO DICE

Check engine light lit/offed every few days but pulled these codes-
*IAC circuit
*Bank one sensor one
*Rear O2 sensor

My question is: what can I try in order to start it so I can get to a shop?? I'm stupid as hell guys so thank you for reading!

Last edited by Josh2012; 08-15-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

so...you tried spraying ether into the manifold and it didnt start? i guess that rules out fuel problems.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

when was the last time you changed your spark plugs?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Thank you guys a ton for the feedback!

Chris- yeah I was desperate to get it going but knew fuel wasn't the issue >_<

Jamaroon- Spark plugs have been changed within the past year-- but good shout man cause occasionally I get the random misfire code. If a spark plug is shot, it's shot right? I don't understand why the condition has worsened and how those codes impede the vehicle from starting now? I've read here that sensors won't hault a start and if the IAC is bad then it shouldn't have started when I pulled those codes. Maybe it needs cleaned?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
spittybays

Hard to tell how much you want to do yourself. If your just trying to save the price of a tow I would take the cap and rotor off with a #20 torx clean them with some emory and see if it starts. Then bring it to your shop.
If you have any kind of relationship most shops these days will come and get it for nothing but due that only if you really trust the guys.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Check the easy things first:
plug wires all solid connections on the plugs and the dist cap. Coil wire connection is tight. Might want to wiggle plug boot at each plug to make sure you do not have a broken plug.
The IAC is pretty easy to check with an volt meter. Almost sounds like the IAC is telling the engine computer that to squire too much fuel and is flooding the engine.

Search forum for IAC. Easy to replace if bad.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM

spittybays- I'm motivated to get it done but lack confidence in my mechanical ability. Sadly, I may break more than what's broken lol. I do have AAA Plus but have used my allotted tows this year and am scraping by. I've heard horror stories of garages in the area and can't afford the run-around. My uncle has a shop north of me that I'm trying to get to but I need to spare him the trip. Thanks for the advice on getting it started!

Lanny- Easy things sound awesome. I'm going to head back outside and start with the easiest you've mentioned. I'll report back with any new intel as to help anyone else in this situation. I've also been told to check the fuel filter, coil pack and injectors. SO much to look at! Thanks man!

I love my car but I'm losing faith in the Blazer. Put too much money into it to walk away just yet though...

Last edited by Josh2012; 08-15-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: more to type
Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM

As promised an update on my situation for those with similar symptoms- it ended up being the rotor of the distributor cap. Good call Lanny! Many thanks to everyone and wow what an easy fix!

Oh, the cause of the problem was the hose for my windshield wipers spraying water into it- DOH! That may explain why weather seemed to worsen the situation. I feel like a right knuckle-head!

Last edited by Josh2012; 08-16-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add