2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

#2 misfire on rebuilt 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member
3hondacrx is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy #2 misfire on rebuilt 4.3

I have just put my new motor in my 97 blazer and Im getting a misfire on #2. I was reading the posts from realbroke2 and my problem is different. I did a compression check on the #2 and its only getting 60psi. I was told that the cam was new. I installed the lifters which where new and the new push rods, new rockers and new selfadjusting washers. The block was bored 40 over with all new internals except I think the crank was reground. Oh and the heads are also new not rebuilt. The miss is thru out all driving ranges.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do a leak down test and listen for where the air is escaping.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Where are the other 5 cylinders compression at? Does it smoke? What's the spark plug look like? Water in the oil? Oil in the water?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member

The rest of the cylinders at 160psi. No smoke! The #2 plug is saturated with gas. It doesnt look as if it fires at all. The rest of the plugs are black but They look as if they are firing. The fuel in the truck was well over a year old but I put a big bottle of lucas fuel treatment and filled it with premium fuel. Ive also put a new fuel filter on it. No oil in water and no water in the oil. Ive never heard of a leak down test.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 PM

In other words... air is escaping from that cylinder somehow... it's either a valve, piston ring, head gasket, loose seal at the spark plug hole... something.
btw, good to see someone else from around these parts on here.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Beginning Member

Is it possible that using an old nut on the rockers will come loose with the new self adjusting washers? I love goin to kerrvile I got family that owns the trailer home hood across from ingram dam

Last edited by 3hondacrx; 07-09-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 PM

LMAO! oh yea... I am familiar with the place...
I am not sure about the nut n washer setup... maybe try swapping the questionable hardware with another cylinder and do another compression check... so is it possible that you have a valve that is not closing all the way do to some kind of over adjustment or something?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Beginning Member

I will be messin with it after work tomorrow, im gonna check and see if the valves came loose. Ill let u know. Thanx.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Beginning Member

Ok question! Is it possible that my misfire is caused by my timing bein off? And if so wouldnt it be a misfire on more then one cylinder.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Doubt it would keep coming up as the same cylinder if the timing was off.

Did you use an aftermarket cap/rotor? A lot of people have had problems with a bunch of different aftermarket caps.

Quick Reply: #2 misfire on rebuilt 4.3