2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer - cranks, does not start. Fuel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Gotta check the pressure when the pump is running, during the 2 second time frame.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member
Chauncy is on a distinguished road

I think I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be - so first off, for that I apologize.

Right now the truck is on a battery tender, 2A charge because the battery is weak.

I went back out, connected the pressure tester, cycled the key on-off, on-off, ON, left it there for 10 minutes:

With the fuel pump on/running the fuel pressure maxes out at 61PSI.

The truck stayed at 52PSI for ten minutes. Maybe dropped .5PSI max. After ten minutes it fell 1PSI.

About 8 minutes into the test I heard a few ticks from what sounds like right where the throttle body is.

Chuck I also gave you some rep for your help, seriously appreciate it. I probably don't have any to give as a new user but it can't hurt.

Last edited by Chauncy; 01-28-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Regulated pressure at 61psi is acceptable. The 10 minute leakdown to 52psi is a bit excessive but not enough to cause the stalling issue. Have you removed the fuel filter and checked for restriction? Should be able to blow through it quite easily.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member

I'm going back out now to remove the fuel filter, I already have a replacement. I will blow through both and come back and reply ASAP if I feel like there are any restrictions in the filter compared to the new one.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Beginning Member

I just got the fuel filter off and when I let it drain and shake the fuel out of the old filter it seems like a decent amount of sediment fell out of the filter. I didn't personally see it but I know it came from the filter as the pan was clean.

Blowing through the old filter is considerably harder to do than the new filter.

The new filter is effortless compared to the old one. I have to blow at least 5x harder through the old filter.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Stick the new one on and see what happens. Don't lose the O ring on the steel line. A bit of anti-seize on the threads will ease replacement next time.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member

The new one is going on for sure, I bought it anyway and know it needs to be replaced.

I know the truck will start now. I started it after the fuel pressure test.

When I install the new fuel filter, can I run the same fuel pressure test and see if my ten minute result increases?

If it stays sustained above 52PSI for ten minutes, is it safe to assume that my problem was in fact the fuel filter?

The truck ran good for two weeks after that one incident, and today was a cold start and it was giving me these issues.

I would say that it may have been a big sluggish but it is a Blazer with 140K and I am coming from high HP applications so of course it's going to feel slow. Truck did also idle at 500RPMS when warm, I have wanted to do an intake cleaning.

I just don't want to find myself stranded out 4 hours away from home as this will be a snowmobile tow rig away from civilization...

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM

The fuel filter will not affect leakdown. It might affect pressure, but doubtful. It could absolutely affect volume and flow though. It's possible that there's an intermittent problem with the pump. See how it goes with the new filter. If it acts up again, we can check for intermittent problem.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Beginning Member

I am just skeptical that replacing the filter will fix the problems the truck has given me, especially since the truck died while driving, and then wouldn't start on a cold start today as they are two different scenarios.

I know how crazy cars can be though and I don't see it being outside the realm of possibilities at the same time.

I will see how things go over the next few weeks. If you don't hear back from me then the fuel filter fixed the issue. If I do experience any more issues I will most likely PM you first if you don't mind.

Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member

Well I just took the truck to auto zone to return the fuel pressure tester and have been inside for about ten minutes. Back out to the truck and all it does is crank over again.

Guess the fuel filter didn't help my problem.

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer - cranks, does not start. Fuel issues?