2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer Gas Mileage Question..???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Blazer Gas Mileage Question..???

I was Wondering what kind of gas mileage other people here were getting with their 2000 Blazers and what could possibly be the reason for the crap gas mileage i'm getting out of mine all of a sudden.. there's no check engine lights on or have came on either.. and seeing as most of the people here use miles and gallons and up here we use kilometres and litres...i've dusted of my math skills to try and convert this for an easier read.. lol

ok so last week gas was a $1 a litre so i drove the truck until the low fuel light came on and stayed on for a little bitand i put $40 in it and tripped the odometre.. drove all city driving and this morning the girlfriend had to put gas in it again.. and the odometre only read 168km... this seams really low to me.. so here's the math lol

40 litres = 10.57 gallons
168 kilometres = 104.3 miles
9.86 mpg
168km 40L = 4.2

this seams really wrong to me.. and was just wondering what others weregetting and what could be the cause for such crap gas mileage all of a sudden..???

Old 03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2000 Blazer Gas Mileage Question..???

That does seem very low, but fuel mileage is so subjective... Did you stop filling when the nozzle clicked off the first time or did you round up to the nearest dollar? Was your truck on a slight incline when you filled up this last time? ETC... You really need to average it out over a few tank fulls to get a true indication of your actual mileage. If you don't do things in the same manner, it can have an effect on your mileage.

You may have gotten a bad tank of gas. Maybe there's condensation in your tank causing your mileage to suffer.

Also, the fuel used can have a profound affect on your mileage. For me, if I fill up at the local Wal-mart, I get 13mpg around town. Fill up at Mobil or the new station downtown (can't remember the name of it), my mileage will shoot back up to 15mpg just over 1 tank and all other things been more or less equal.

I keep a little date book in each of my vehicles to write down each fuel fill up. I keep track of the $/gallon, fuel pumped, miles since last fill up, the trip meter reading for fuel used, the trip meter reading for average MPG since last fillup, and even the , oil & coolant levels (but those only on a monthly basis).

Old 03-13-2007, 06:47 PM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point

thx for the quick reply once again.. but i get my gas at the same Esso gas station everytime (right next to the house lol) and it is level and i trip the odemeter as soon as i get in the truck.. i also drive the same routes all the time.. the girlfriend too... but i realise that it is hard to get it accurate

about a month ago i put $40 in the truck when gas was about $0.96 a litre and got about 215km(133miles) for the tank.. and on average i get about 200km for $40 100km for $10 and so on.. and that's what i've been getting for awhile now.. so using my rusty math and the online calculator again lol.. the best and around average i've been getting was 12.58mpg

so it seems to me that since my second last fill up i've been getting crap gas mileage and can't seem to figure out why..??? but thx again for the input.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Senzu21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I cot my Blazer about a month ago, 2000 Blazer LS 4x4. I got about 18 mpg then, with lots of snow and using 4x4 at least once a day. Now, with no snow therefore no 4x4, I get about 14. I really do not know why, but an oil change this weekend should help, not sure when last done.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:43 PM
SlimshagE is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2000 Blazer 2wd with a 5 speed. I was getting about 22 miles per gallon. Now I'm dealing with a stalling problem which I've been trying to fix. Since the stalling, I getting 18 miles per gallon and my check engine light is on. I would check your plugs, wires, and the air filter.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:47 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2000 4wd 4 dr and I have been getting about 15 mpg on average. I am pretty heavy on the pedal at times too...

Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my 2000 4dr 4x4 was getting about 20-22 before i switched to ARCO's regular, it contains upto 10% ethanol. Since the fuel in the U.S. will be mandated to contain some amount of ethanol after 08-09 I figured that I should test the mileage over a long period to see how it does. I am currently getting 18mpg on the freeway and a mixed of 15-16 city/highway since we live about 12 miles out of town...

Before when i originally bought the truck i could get as much as 22mpg with straight gasoline and 35lbs air in the tires. And this was really weird but my thermostat stuck open so the temp gauge never went above 165* and that was when I was getting the best gas mileage, I am considering intalling a 180* thermostat since the computer don't like anything lower than 175* for proper warm operation...

Check your tire pressures to make sure that they are not under inflated...when I first bought the truck it would get bad mileage...found out the tires were underinflated (24psi, damn dealer), I inflated them to 35psi and got better mileage...

Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to recommend some routine maintenance items. Replace the plugs/wires/cap/rotor if you cannot remember ever doing it. Clean the MAF sensor (using sensor safe carbon cleaner - most parts stores sell MAF specific cleaner) and the EGR valve (get a new gasket before hand). If you search on the MAF cleaning and my membername as the author, you should find quite a few posts on the subject.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

I have a 2000 4 door blazer...I get around 20 mpg on the highway (even with a couple canoe and kayaks on top) and 16-18 mpg around town....when my cat was on the fritz...it dropped down to around 15....and didn't go up all that much.....remembered I hadn't changed my air filter in forever...and brought my millage back up...ultimately need a new muffler some time this year...the highway millage depends on how fast I am going too...if I'm pushing 85..(hurrying to the river) or when I lived in the UP...where the max road speed was 55....I averaged up to about 23mpg living up there...but then I never went over 62ish...and not a lot of stop and go.....

Old 03-14-2007, 05:04 PM
fernandoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Alcohol in the fuel mean less calories to the same volume of fuel, less mileage then. My 2000 4 door ATX is in the range of 6kpl in heavy traffic and 8.xx in the 120 k/h hwy. The factor to mpg is 0.425. I got it used and never knew it in OEM condition,but I think my present mileage is still close to the EPA figures.

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer Gas Mileage Question..???