2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer instantly dies when hot...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Starting Member
AutoC23 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2000 Blazer instantly dies when hot...

Hello,

I have a 2000 Blazer LT (6 cly 4x4) and its developed a problem that when its been driven for about 20 min the car will instantly die. It will start back up without a problem even while moving (by popping it in neutral and restarting while coasting). It doesn't shutter like its a mechanical issue, it seems to just instantly die like its an electrical issue.
I have done my research via google search and this forum but the problem is others have had this issue and the problems were vastly different (there were even some who had this issue and just sold the car because they couldn't figure it out).
Is there a way to isolate the problem?
How can i tell if its a overheating issue, a senor problem, or a loose ground wire, or ignition switch malfunction? (those being the 4 most common reasons for failure since the fuel pump was replaced in April).

A little more background to help get an idea of what im dealing with...
The death is instant but only after it gets warmed up. It sporadically happens when accelerating and breaking. The security light never comes on or flickers, it always instantly starts right back up. There are two codes on the scan Catalyst below threshold and right front speed sensor. I thought the catalytic converter was plugged up but there is no catalytic converter, they guy who had it before me straight piped it. It seems to stall less when the MAP sensor is unplugged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member
sir otto is an unknown quantity at this point

Same boat your in except I have not replaced my Fuel pump yet. We nned answers BUMP!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few things that need to be checked. ICM & coil can cause symptoms like this & they can be checked with a multimeter and some time. A dropped circuit in the ignition switch can cause this and still not illuminate the security light - this too can be checked with a multimeter & some time. Run through those using the details available in the tech article section and let us know the results. Be specific as to what you checked, the values you received, etc.