2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 blazer no power on take off

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A restricted cat will definitely produce a temperature drop from the inlet to the outlet. The restriction causes the heat to build and once the exhaust gases get past the restriction, they will expand & cool resulting in lower temperatures.

A similar phenomenon can be seen in high RPM engines when run on a dyno. The outside of the bends in the header tubes gets hot faster due to the increased flow of hot exhaust gases overpowering the cooling from the exterior.

Increased flow or increased pressure causes a build up of temperature.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Ok, I will buy that. But doesnt he state that he lacks power mostly when cold? My gut says it isnt the cat.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think it's the cat either. Just responding to your question. Its easy enough to check for and rule out though.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM

True that. Im 41. Ive had my fair share of beaters. (Too many to count!) Funny thing is, in all my years of rebuilding and keeping things on the road, I have only had to replace one cat.(Rattled). In your expirience with the 4.3, do they eat them of have I been just really lucky all my life?

Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Administrator

The problem with the 4.3L is the fuel system (prior to the MFI spider anyway). Once the fuel system starts to act up due to failed FPR, poppets leaking or otherwise not spraying correction, etc, more raw fuel gets pushed to the cat where it gets burnt and over time it can melt down the catalyst. Lack of maintenance (tune ups, injector cleaner, etc) is the biggest killer of catalytic converters.

But enough on that.

To the OP, have you cleaned the MAF sensor and/or EGR valve? Either of these can cause a performance issue on cold starts. When was the last time a full tune up was performed (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor - AC Delco is preferred for these items)?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 AM

Thanks for cat chat.

I would be interested in what the temperature sensors are reading. IAT or coolant temp have caused problems for me in the past. A data stream would probably provide alot of information with this problem

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Beginning Member
00blazerls4x4 is on a distinguished road

well everyone it was not the cat. so i hooked it up to the tech 2 again.... the maf sensor is working properly.... back to the fuel pressure gauges?>

Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member
Default Ok im lost

I hooked up the fuel pressure gauges and drove for a week and same results as last 55- 70 lbs .... so i unhooked the maf sensor and the intake sensor and it runs like a top .... throws two codes reading fuel to lean . off subject but where is the cabin air filter located in the 2000

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 00blazerls4x4
I hooked up the fuel pressure gauges and drove for a week and same results as last 55- 70 lbs .... so i unhooked the maf sensor and the intake sensor and it runs like a top .... throws two codes reading fuel to lean . off subject but where is the cabin air filter located in the 2000
So.. that leaves the IAT as the probable culprit, right?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member
Default Iat?

What do you mean on the iat sensor

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer no power on take off