2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the intakes leak coolant into the oil, the oil will thin out and cause the valve lifters to clatter. A bigger concern though is coolant in the oil will destroy main, rod, and cam bearings. Probably ought to change the oil & filter, run it a few minutes, and change it again and see if the noise stops.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-10-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member
ooseven is on a distinguished road

Yes anti-freeze is a big no no. Will take the intake off and drain oil.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:49 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ooseven
The oil looks black. Loud tapping is all I said. Use to the older models. Back in my days. 40 yrs ago.
Ok, I say this cause these motors aren't really known to have 'lifter issues' unless there is anti freeze In the oil.....thinning out the oil , & causing the lifters to tick! I personally would be concerned with any motor that has anti freeze in the oil due to bad gaskets........cause it's only a matter of time....for those bearings

Old 01-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 07nhbpsi
Ok, I say this cause these motors aren't really known to have 'lifter issues' unless there is anti freeze In the oil.....thinning out the oil , & causing the lifters to tick! I personally would be concerned with any motor that has anti freeze in the oil due to bad gaskets........cause it's only a matter of time....for those bearings
I had my 15 yr old take pictures of the dip stick.

Will be taking the intake off. Please I was not in any way saying I know what I'm doing. I be help not asking.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.-img_20150110_155433.jpg   2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.-img_20150110_155437.jpg   2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.-img_20150110_155442.jpg   2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.-img_20150110_155445.jpg   2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.-img_20150110_155447.jpg  

Old 01-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member

Also I'm going to upload the noise it make while running maybe Sunday.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:25 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong....but it appears the oil level is rather high pull the cap off what's it look like inside the motor??? If u grab the neck itself and twist it, it will come off....the cap and neck that is......then u can shine a light into the valve cover to see the rockers and head........also was the coolant level low???? But....before u tear this thing apart, listen to captain!!!!!! Do a fuel system pressure check.....reason being is if there is & I'm sure there is a problem with it u will have the manifold off & u can kill two birds with one stone u will save time and hassle this way!!!!! This also is a good time to do a tune up......but, use Ac Delco plugs, cap ,rotor and wires....well auto lite wires are good too......no elcheapo wires though

Old 01-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Looks overfull to me, could be coolant

Old 01-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member

I thought the same on the oil level. OK on it all. I never use cheapo stuff. It does not pay in the long way. Syn oil also. But I will upload it running so you can hear it.

Thank you so much. My son will be doing the work on it plus will be giving it ti him. So he has to know the inside out on it.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:32 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Before removing intake; change the oil. Let the old oil sit for a few minutes and then check to see if there is coolant on top.
Also get a good flashlight and look at the intake to head joints; look for any signs of coolant. If present, then it is time to remove the intake change the gaskets.

Last edited by LannyL81; 01-12-2015 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ooseven
Hello I'm thinking of taking the intake manifold and heads off to rebuild the heads and new
rollers and stuff that a like. Is there a page (video) would be nice. My 15 yr old with little info will be doing this for my back can not take it.

Good for him to learn anyways. Been looking still will. But be faster for some that has been there already.
I'm sorry but having just completed my 2001 Blazer engine overhaul, I cannot imagine an inexperienced 15 year old attempting to R&R the heads on a 4WD Blazer with the engine in place. That is one of the most difficult repairs I can imagine, and I used to do this for a living.

Sure it's nice to learn, but are you sure he is up to it? If not, the vehicle will probably get partially torn apart, never run again, and he might lose all confidence. I personally don't think that attempting such a job is fair to him unless he is a mechanical prodigy.

His biggest problems during disassembly would be getting the bolts out of the fuel line bracket and grounds on the back of the heads, as well as getting the exhaust manifolds off to access all of the head bolts. The bolts for fuel line bracket and grounds would best be removed after each head is unbolted and moved forward a little for clearance.

If you are bound and determined to try - make sure he can get the exhaust manifolds off before tearing into other stuff. If he can't get those off, stop there and you might have a chance at someone else agreeing to finish the job.

Probably it would be better to diagnose the actual problem before tearing things down. It could be something simple.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-12-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.