2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member
ooseven is on a distinguished road

I think the people that worked on it before that broke the cap screw threads put the distributor in 90 degrees off. Put new plugs in now sound like it is firing but with valves open. So will work on the distributor placement in the morning. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/h...ns-way-494798/ As far as the fuel test could not find one that worked. So I ordered a full set on ebay. Be a week or so before I receive it.

Last edited by ooseven; 01-16-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You mentioned that you lined up the marks, and the rotor was pointing at the "6". Must be 180 degrees out.

Easy way to fix it. Using a socket and ratchet, manually rotate the crank clockwise until the crank marks are lined up AND the rotor is pointing at the "6". Remove the distributor. Manually rotate the crank one revolution clockwise until the crank marks line up again. Reinstall the distributor so the rotor is pointing at the "6".

Old 01-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
You mentioned that you lined up the marks, and the rotor was pointing at the "6". Must be 180 degrees out.

Easy way to fix it. Using a socket and ratchet, manually rotate the crank clockwise until the crank marks are lined up AND the rotor is pointing at the "6". Remove the distributor. Manually rotate the crank one revolution clockwise until the crank marks line up again. Reinstall the distributor so the rotor is pointing at the "6".
Yep so close. Just came in from bumping it to see the make and it wants to fire up. But it now runs different. Spits and backfires. Like it's valves are open when it is firing. Just touch the key it wants to fire at a certain spot. I heard this before the distributor was of. More on Saturday.

Thanks for sticking with me Captain Hook

Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Cpt Hook, you da man!!!
I know uf I ever need help, hope u got my back!!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member

We are in the action of lining up the two marks to check if the distributor is in the right way.

Last edited by ooseven; 01-17-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member

Well it did start. Still rough. But I see a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust. What I read is heads cracked or gaskets bad. Plus I still want to check the fuel pressure when I get the tester in the mail.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Now it runs, that's a step in the right direction. The steam might just be excess condensation or fuel in the exhaust system. It may clear up if you let it warm up and dry out. Head gasket failures are rare on these engines unless they are severly overheated.

Rotor needs to be lined up like this:

Name:  334555.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  97.9 KB

Crankshaft marks need to be aligned like this:

Name:  43LVortecFinding1TDC-Copy.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  18.6 KB

And the wires in the cap need to be like this:

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-17-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member

OK the breather was laying on top of the intake and it was catching on some thing (I was taking a shower for work when this was happening), It started running better, better acceleration likes to try to die when you put it in gear. Now I think there is fuel leakage from the one time the pressure gauge did work it showed 62 psi and leaked down to 55 under a minute. So must have to take the intake off and see what is leaking. It coincides that it is going through gas.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 AM

Excessive leakdown can be in the tank or in the plenum. Checking pressure and leakdown at the fuel filter outlet will tell where the leak is.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member

Excessive leakdown can be in the tank or in the plenum. Checking pressure and leakdown at the fuel filter outlet will tell where the leak is.
unfortunately at this time I do not have a working tester. I ordered one on ebay the other day. Be a week or so before I get it. The first thing we will do is test in front of the fuel filter then up front by the motor.

So will be off line till then. Thank you so much.

Quick Reply: 2000 blazer sport utility upper noise and runs rough.