2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer Zr2 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member
Burnout66 is on a distinguished road

That's what I figured. Yes both times I tried it the actuator was "fat".

I'm thinking it could need a new transfer case. I think the clutch pack wore out and now the gears don't fully engage for the 4x4. Since the clutch pack is supposably supposed to work with the gears to shift in 4x4 even without being in auto 4x4

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the actuator was 'fat' when the transfer case was locked in, then the problem is with the vacuum system, not the transfer case. Focus on that.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member

I would focus on that. however I am not sure if these engines can hold vaccum after being shut off. Im sure they are supposed to. But like I said before, the actuator was still fat AFTER shutting off the engine and walking up to it. I would check it while it was running but i like having all of my limbs still attached lol. So that is my question to you. Is that still a vaccum problem?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A mechanics mirror & a flashlight should allow a look at the actuator with the engine running. You can also disconnect the vacuum line to the actuator and connect it to a vacuum gauge to test for vacuum at the actuator.

The vacuum system in the vehicle should maintain a vacuum after the engine shuts off providing it A) is sealed up properly and B) has a properly functioning check valve, however, the NV236 (4 button NP8) vacuum solenoid would dump to atmosphere once the engine shuts off as it gets deenergized. You need to check this with the engine running.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Beginning Member

Alright thank you, I will try this tomorrow morning and report back.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member

The actuator is working properly. The front axle engages and locks in.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Now you need to determine if it is actually locking the front axle or if it is just pulling the cable. Did you get a look at the cable movement during vacuum activation of the front axle? If so, how far was it moving? At the very least, a 1/2" of movement is necessary to engage the front axle at the actuator.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Beginning Member

I didnt see if it was moving or not. I will do that with a friend if i can soon. But the front axle is locked (I get under it when its in 4x4 and the truck is running in park) so I'm assuming it is locked into 4x4...

Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator

So... How did you determine that the front axle was locked from under the truck? Just grab the front drive shaft?

Grabbing the front drive shaft doesn't really confirm much in and of itself. Here's why. With all 4 wheels on the ground... If the transfer case is locking into 4wd, the front drive shaft will not turn. If the front axle is engaged, the front drive shaft will not turn. The same is true if both the transfer case & front axle are engaged. So as you can see, just the fact that the front drive shaft does not spin when in 4wd is not proof that the front axle is locked. The reason for this is because of the front differential & how the disconnect occurs in the passenger side extension housing.

To prove that the front axle is locked in, with the engine running, transfer case in 4wd, transmission in park, lift one front wheel off the ground and attempt to spin it. You should not be able to spin the wheel if the front axle is engaged and the transfer case is in 4wd.

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-13-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member

Awesome. Thank you for the clarification. I will get back to you later and post results.

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer Zr2 4x4 problem