2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Chevy Blazer 4WD Brake issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Starting Member
FBL4Me is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Chevy Blazer 4WD Brake issue.

My problem started out with spongy brakes, so I decide to bleed the brakes. Air will not stop coming through the bleeder hose no matter how long I bleed them. I'm using one of those kits you hook an air compressor to and suck brake fluid through the system. Ok, something's going on here. I start looking around the master cylinder and find a broken rigid line. That's good, now I can fix something. Well, the stupid thing is....I can't find where that line broke off!! It seems like it should be simple. I followed it down through the chassis for a bit and it runs through to the back before I lost it. I attached a picture and if anyone knows where I need to look, or can look under their hood if you have the same vehicle, I would really appreciate it. All the lines in the area are all intact. I marked it with a red arrow. This is ruining my Friday night. Oh, I forgot to mention that the parking brake came on yesterday and stayed on, but after bleeding brakes it went out. Also, the brakes still work but the pedal is all the way to the floor. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Chevy Blazer 4WD Brake issue.-blazer1.jpg  

Last edited by FBL4Me; 04-16-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what that is, but if you just have spongy brakes, that isn't your problem. A wide open line like that would cause much more severe issues. Could be that someone replaced a line at some point and just left the old line there...

As far as always getting air out of the line goes, are you sure that your suction line is staying properly sealed to the bleeder and that air is not being sucked in around the bleeder? I have had this happen with my vacuum system as well. That is why I now use a power bleeder that attaches to the master cylinder reservoir and pressurizes the system using shop air.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Starting Member

Actually I guess that could be an old line, I did blow a brake line once when I had to lock them up while towing a boat, and they did say a line was replaced. I'll call that one problem solved. I pretty sure the bleeder hose is not leaking, but wonder if air is not being drawn in around the bleeder valve itself although I'm only cracking it enough to allow fluid through. I attached a couple pictures so you see what I'm working with. The hose came with an attachment that plugged over the bleeder valve but I didn't trust it and attached the hose directly which seems to be making a good tight seal. Air compressor set at 100 psi, recommendations with the kit are 90 -120. The container you see is filled halfway with fluid drawn through the system. The master cylinder is open and there is a bottle of new fluid inserted in the master cylinder supplying constant fluid.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Chevy Blazer 4WD Brake issue.-102_2309.jpg   2000 Chevy Blazer 4WD Brake issue.-102_2308.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Put some grease on the threads of the bleeder and try it again.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Starting Member

Good idea. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Had to give it up for the night and have a couple beers.....thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.