2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Jimmy Drive Cycle

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
MLRS327 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Jimmy Drive Cycle

Hey Guys. Bought a Craftsman OBD2 scanner to help locate a CE light. Got problem corrected, but after erasing codes, etc... with the scanner, my I/M monitor status light is yellow and many monitors are not ready. I know this will fail emissions. Is it necessary to perform a specific guide for the drive cycle, or will driving it regularly over the next few weeks "drive cycle" it. This is so stupid. I saw a post somewhere about drive it 55 for 50 seconds, idle to 20, all kinds of crap. Seems easier to build a vehicle than drive cycle it. Thanks in advance

Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Here is the GM drive cycle: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Each step must be followed exactly as written with no exceptions or short cuts.
You do not have to complete the entire drive cycle if you only need to run certain monitors. Pick out the monitor you need to run and perform that step.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member
MLRS327 is on a distinguished road

Thats ridiculous. Guess I'll wake up at 2am and do it so not to be interrupted by traffic. Strange though. Does disconnecting the battery not do the same thing as clearing with scanner? Because I have disconnected the battery and PCM harnesses before(to weld) When I hooked everything up, I did not even know about a drive cycle, never did one. Anyway, when I hooked up this scanner that I just got for Christmas I was all green and all monitors were good. Did I just happen to complete a drive cycle over that 6 month period or does disconnecting the battery not do the same as scanner?

Sorry. Where are my manners? How was your Christmas Capn? Any New Years plans?

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-28-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Disconnecting the battery will clear any pending DTC's and turn off the SES light only if there are no hard faults present. It will not clear the history file. I seroiusly doubt if it would reset the monitors, never tried it so I can't tell you for certain. If your scan tool says that all monitors are complete, and you recently disconnected the battery, I'd have to say it does not reset the monitors. So, don't clear or reset it with a scan tool. If you do, as you found out, following the entire drive cycle is a trick, (to say the least) and might take another 6 months to complete them all! Some of the monitors are not run continuously, or even multiple times per drive trip. They may only run once per drive cycle and if the parameters are not met, it waits until the next drive trip. When each monitor runs its tests during a drive cycle, it must complete all of the tests for the monitor to be complete. I've seen them go longer than 6 months without running and completing all of the monitors so don't let that bother you.

Christmas was great! Had all 7 Grand Babies age 7 and under, (from 2 daughters) all together for the first time! No twins, 2 born on the same day though!