2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Jimmy - upset with me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Beginning Member
mikekolb is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

Interesting problem I ran in to today. 2000 Jimmy, 150000 miles (just rolled today). Anyways it was about 100 degrees here in Chicago today and I put about 150 miles on her in that heat. At one point in time, about 30 miles in to a 35 mile trip I was cruising on the highway at about 70mph and over 2k rpm when suddenly the car "bucked". I seemed to have lost power momentarily, the R's dropped almost to below 1000 and I lost speed. It quickly came back (all within a second or so) but it did it a couple times more. I slowed down and it seem to somewhat subside (or not do it as hard) however it seemed like once I got above 2000 Rpms it would do it again... It actually completely died on me taking off from a stop. It immediately restarted though. I arrived at my destination pretty much right after that. Parked the car. Hour later came back out and left. The problem didn't happen again on my 40 mile trek home. No idiot lights came on either. Any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Etc.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

I dont know if it makes any bit of a difference but this was probably the most the car had been driven in about 4 months. It had been sitting for a while before I bought it because it needed U Joints - BAD. Both times I filled up before this incident I had put in Gumout Cleaner and then last night when I filled up after it happened I had added STP Injector Cleaner just to be safe.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-25-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Flatearthman is on a distinguished road

most or all of those injector cleaners are meant to be run through the tank of gas as soon as you add them to the tank (daily driver ect.) and top off with fresh gas

if you want to keep the gas fresh you add stabil.

if you dont run them through right away they sit in the system and eat away at the F/P filter the lines regulator ect.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never run through a complete tank of fuel after adding injector cleaner, nor have I ever had any fuel pump problems with any of my vehicles. I use Chevron Techron at every oil change. I have never heard of or read about anyone having a fuel pump eaten by fuel injector cleaner either. I wouldn't worry about one application hurting things to the point where it is causing your current issues.

Have you gone through the typical tune up and preventative maintenance items? Plugs, wires, cap, & rotor? Air filter, fuel filter? Cleaned the MAF, EGR, and throttle body (including the IAC valve and passage)?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member
mikekolb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I have never run through a complete tank of fuel after adding injector cleaner, nor have I ever had any fuel pump problems with any of my vehicles. I use Chevron Techron at every oil change. I have never heard of or read about anyone having a fuel pump eaten by fuel injector cleaner either. I wouldn't worry about one application hurting things to the point where it is causing your current issues.

Have you gone through the typical tune up and preventative maintenance items? Plugs, wires, cap, & rotor? Air filter, fuel filter? Cleaned the MAF, EGR, and throttle body (including the IAC valve and passage)?
The plugs, wires, and air filter are all in good shape. I will check the cap and rotor as well as change the fuel filter asap as well as clean the MAF, EGR, and Throttle Body.

Thanks for the help man