2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 4.3 140K new parts wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

Did you have this engine pulled out? Are the Flywheel bolts and torque converter bolts tight?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Beginning Member
hondacharger is on a distinguished road

no the engine was not removed and yes they are tight! The motor now tunrs over YEAH , but will not fire??? So its turns out while I was working on the truck and got caught rain several times, that some water found its way into the cylinders. This is called hydro lock and after I got the plugs out it turned over just fine and it spat out an oily water type mix wiht some sludge. I think some of this was from the intake manifold giving up and the anitifreeze went dwon the runner passed the valves and in to the cylinders. It turns out the hardest to reach plug on both sides that being the middle plug on the driver side #2 and the furthest back on the driver side #4 had the most water YIKES. SO I have used some synthetic oil, penetrate spray, and some squirt bottles to hopefully displace the last of the water and hopefully cause a lot less friction between the rings, cylinder walls, and any moving parts that may have come into contact with water. I now need some advice on why the motor turns over but wont fire? I did just replace the intake gasket, plugs, distributor cap, and the points inside. I now have a free tunring motor but no ignition? I do have the blue smoke coming from the tail pipe? any thoughts? thanks in advance ..>S

Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

have you checked the engugement of the starter gear and the flywheel? i can't tell you how many ppl never bother to do this. myself? i never used to (notice how i said used to). if that is good, then here's what to do next........
you need to do is remove the belt-completely! then, remove the spark plugs ('cause, if there is any coolant inside, it's gotta come out! plus it removes any compression). the engine should be able to spin with very little effort. let us know what happens after this.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Beginning Member

you are exactly correct my friend! when I realized I could not trun the crank by the starter or otherwise I did just that. I pulled the belt off completely, pulled all the plugs, and then used the starter to crank over the engine & YES it spins freely and very little noise at all. I had the wife hold down the key in start posisition while I watched the vapor, fluid, and gunk shoot out of the spark plug holes. I damn near killed the battery but I wanted to be sure I got out as much as possible. I charged the battery overnight, reinstalled the plugs, and tried to get it to fire again. So far just a sputter and lots of blue smoke. When you hold the pedal down to the floor the engine makes a slight thump or thud sound like it wants to fire but then once you let off the pedal it burdens the battery and starts to slow down the cranking or maybe I am just beating up the battery again. Once it thump a few times in sucession so I left off the pedal and it chugged for a split second then nothing.

I pulled the plugs again and they were not so much fouled as just slightly wet and oily, wet not dark grease but like a water, maybe coolant, amd oily feel but the liqiud was almost clear. I used the air compressor to clean up the plugs again , reinstalled and right now I am waiting for the battery to charge again WHEW.

I think all I can do at this point is to keep repeating the steps, clean the plugs, charge the battery, and try to fire the motor I guess I should change the plugs for new ones next attempt after I try these again , well they are already installed so I will swap them next attempt

Old 09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

sorry brother, i posted the other day there above without seeing a 2nd page of comments (happens when i post s**t after 1am sometimes! hahahaha). anyways i think your timing might be out a bit.
i suggest you recheck to alignment of your timing, just to be sure, 'cause it sounds like it's pretty darn close (with the popping and almost running).
i had the front of my first Burb get swampped once-BIG TIME! had some tool in a jacked up 4x4 van, blast right past me as i was making my way accross a flooded road, and sent water washing over my hood, hell it went right over my roof! (standing water was right even with the bottom of my doors). when i dragged her home, i had 4 cylinders full of water. and all i did was, drain the oil & pull all the plugs, crank it over (by hand) a couple of times, installed 8 new plugs (with a single shot of engine oil put in each cylinder before), cleaned the starter (it sat for an hour and a half before i pulled it out with my other truck), and she fired right up, no problem. sure it blew blue smoke for a few minutes until the engine warmed up, but she still fired right up.
so double-no, triple check you timing to make sure this isn't an issue.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

Wow thats a lot of water did your truck spray it out the spark plug holes too? LOL like a blowhole on a whale haha The middle plug on the drivr side was the worst it flodded out, SUCKS... Glad to know she came back to life even after the swamping , that guy was A'hole to not sow down!!!

Well I guess I should find a timing light, and figure out how to mark top dead center. I am just going on the mark I made on the side of the distributor when I pulled it out

Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
fun2b1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default try new plugs

I know you said you dropped a new set in.. but if they were coated with sludge and oil as you tried to start it... chances are those new plugs are now junk.. get a brand new set of clean plugs.. post back and let us know how you made out.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Beginning Member
B5Bee is on a distinguished road

Oops, missed later posts

Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM
BF Guru

search my posting hondacharger, i told someone else on here, how to find TDC #1.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 AM
BF Guru

i found my posting for checking your timing, hondacharger.
here's the link:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...533#post246533
hope this helps you towards getting your truck running.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 09-22-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: put in the direct link to comments.

Quick Reply: 2001 4.3 140K new parts wont turn over