2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer. Need someone with Expertise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Grawbad is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer. Need someone with Expertise.

Just bought a 2001 Blazer this past Monday.
Of the glaring things that I knew needed to be fixed before I bought it were:
New windshield
Rear Window wouldn't open.
Radio displayed loc
ABS/Parking brake lights on.
Coolant hoses were rerouted from heater and into each other.

So far I have:

1) Had a new windshield installed.

2) I repaired the problem with the back window myself.
Had to get inside the back and use a screwdriver through the tiny opening behind the upholstery on the door to get the window unlatched. Then I just removed the plastic panel and then the metal panel from the lower door. I found that the motor that pulls the metal bar to unlatch the window had a blue plastic clip on it and the plastic clip had broken off just past the metal bar. I just drilled a hole in the plastic clip and used a zip tie to string it to the metal piece. Fixed.

3) Got my radio unlocked myself. Which saved me 70 bucks.

Anyways, onto the questions I have.

1) Despite the ABS and parking brake lights being on my brakes work really well. The only thing I notice about the brakes is they squeak sporadically. I mean most of the time I stop and they don't make a sound, but other times they squeak pretty loudly. Its so sporadic I cant figure out what makes them squeak. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with foot pressure on the brake at all.
Anyways, they want 40 to 50 bucks at local shops just to diagnose the problem with the lights being on. I am hoping that someone here could maybe give me and idea of what may be the problem based on what I have described so I don't have to spend that and maybe fix it myself or at least circumvent the diagnosis cost and just have the problem fixed.
I have tried engaging and releasing the parking brake and this doesn't correct anything.
EDIT: Just wanted to note in case it matters, it sounds to me like the culprit is the front passenger side that is making the noise.

2) Now about the heater core thing. When I got it the hoses going into the dash were rerouted together and jerry rigged together poorly at that. Something I fixed myself already by getting the proper parts after their swimming pool equipment popped apart and started spraying coolant all over. ROFL Anyways, most have told me that they probably did this because the heater core was leaking. I am wondering if this is a certainty. This is a over 900 dollar fix due to the dash needing to come out and such. So I want to go in knowing exactly what the problem is. I don't want them to replace the heater core and it end up being some other problem that lead them to reroute the hoses causing me to have to have the dash removed again.
Also if anybody could tell me what else I should have replaced while the dash is out I would be grateful. I mean, if there are other cheap parts in there that can be replaced even if they aren't bad yet I would like to do that as well to avoid having to have the dash removed again in the near future.
EDIT: Another note here, there is a sound that comes from in the dash which I have no idea what it is. Usually cant hear it unless I am parked and the air and radio is off. I wouldn't even know how to describe the sound except that its like something is rotating at speed and rubbing on something maybe. lol I just don't know how to describe it. Its definatley not the engine. My engine purrs. Its definitely under the dash and within the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Last edited by Grawbad; 06-25-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by Grawbad
Just bought a 2001 Blazer this past Monday.
Of the glaring things that I knew needed to be fixed before I bought it were:
New windshield
Rear Window wouldn't open.
Radio displayed loc
ABS/Parking brake lights on.
Coolant hoses were rerouted from heater and into each other.

So far I have:

1) Had a new windshield installed.

2) I repaired the problem with the back window myself.
Had to get inside the back and use a screwdriver through the tiny opening behind the upholstery on the door to get the window unlatched. Then I just removed the plastic panel and then the metal panel from the lower door. I found that the motor that pulls the metal bar to unlatch the window had a blue plastic clip on it and the plastic clip had broken off just past the metal bar. I just drilled a hole in the plastic clip and used a zip tie to string it to the metal piece. Fixed.

3) Got my radio unlocked myself. Which saved me 70 bucks.

Anyways, onto the questions I have.

1) Despite the ABS and parking brake lights being on my brakes work really well. The only thing I notice about the brakes is they squeak sporadically. I mean most of the time I stop and they don't make a sound, but other times they squeak pretty loudly. Its so sporadic I cant figure out what makes them squeak. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with foot pressure on the brake at all.
Anyways, they want 40 to 50 bucks at local shops just to diagnose the problem with the lights being on. I am hoping that someone here could maybe give me and idea of what may be the problem based on what I have described so I don't have to spend that and maybe fix it myself or at least circumvent the diagnosis cost and just have the problem fixed.
I have tried engaging and releasing the parking brake and this doesn't correct anything.
EDIT: Just wanted to note in case it matters, it sounds to me like the culprit is the front passenger side that is making the noise.

2) Now about the heater core thing. When I got it the hoses going into the dash were rerouted together and jerry rigged together poorly at that. Something I fixed myself already by getting the proper parts after their swimming pool equipment popped apart and started spraying coolant all over. ROFL Anyways, most have told me that they probably did this because the heater core was leaking. I am wondering if this is a certainty. This is a over 900 dollar fix due to the dash needing to come out and such. So I want to go in knowing exactly what the problem is. I don't want them to replace the heater core and it end up being some other problem that lead them to reroute the hoses causing me to have to have the dash removed again.
Also if anybody could tell me what else I should have replaced while the dash is out I would be grateful. I mean, if there are other cheap parts in there that can be replaced even if they aren't bad yet I would like to do that as well to avoid having to have the dash removed again in the near future.
EDIT: Another note here, there is a sound that comes from in the dash which I have no idea what it is. Usually cant hear it unless I am parked and the air and radio is off. I wouldn't even know how to describe the sound except that its like something is rotating at speed and rubbing on something maybe. lol I just don't know how to describe it. Its definatley not the engine. My engine purrs. Its definitely under the dash and within the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
As for the heater core if you hook up the hoses to it & you find water on the floor (passengers side) you have a heater core leak.
As for $900, that is crazy. My 97 is a 4 hour flat rate. It cost me $280 labor & $50 for the core. As far as I was concerned even being a retired mechanic it was worth every bit of the $280 I paid to let someone else tear the dash out.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Grawbad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
As for the heater core if you hook up the hoses to it & you find water on the floor (passengers side) you have a heater core leak.
As for $900, that is crazy. My 97 is a 4 hour flat rate. It cost me $280 labor & $50 for the core. As far as I was concerned even being a retired mechanic it was worth every bit of the $280 I paid to let someone else tear the dash out.

Thanks for the reply. Everywhere I have called has said its ten and a half hours of labor and 50 dollars for the part.

As for hooking it back to the heater core I am a bit worried about getting coolant in my car. Tough smell to get rid of. But if I have to I will. Are there any other reasons someone would do what they did?