2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer Sticking Valve?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017 | 11:37 AM
|
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mickey_bigdaddy
Les,

Reading your thread has just convinced me to let my 1999 Blazer just die. I have had many of the same issues as you. I actually spent a lot of time on this forum back in 2014 swapping my engine and sorting out some of the same problems. I first tried to save my original engine but eventually swapped it out. Since then, I've had my transmission rebuilt, I did some heavy hauling so I'm not too surprised. I had the same motivation as you, it was a nicely kept, one owner vehicle that looked nice.

Well I'm back to looking into what to do with this current engine. It has developed a lower knock, just like the first engine. I paid careful proactive attention to things when I put this engine in: new oil pump, good coolant, checked torques, new gaskets and seals, injector upgrade, etc. I do regular oil changes and keep check on that coolant. Well, I'm not going to go through this again after reading your thread. I did a engine replacement once and it just isn't worth it to me to do it again. I was actually going to upgrade to a V8. But, I'm done and I'm going to chalk this one up as lessons learnt from Les and his adventure. Thanks buddy for sharing this and saving me from a $12k (kinda) money pit. You really talked some sense into me.

Btw, mine is the same color as your's......
Sorry to hear you feel that way. I really wasn't trying to be such a Debbie Downer. The trans shop rebuilt my trans again under warranty that same week and everything on the Blazer has been good since then. Mine has been a $12K money pit so far, but it is a decision that I made to put that money into it. I could have stopped early on and probably only took a 5K loss, selling the vehicle with a bad motor. To each his own I guess.

I see myself as paying for not checking it out thoroughly before buying, like I knew that I should have done. Now it's too late to do that and I'm just trying to make the best of it. I have certainly learned to work on the vehicle.

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2018 | 10:02 AM
|

This year's Blazer repairs were not so severe as in the past! Yay! It's been over a year since the last trans repairs.

This year one of the rear spring shackles rusted out and I replaced them both sides. Found out after hooking a tow strap on the shackle a month ago. Surprisingly the frame and rest of the underbody seems to be fine back there (so far) except for the bumper which I already knew about. I did have a good look at it while doing the repairs. Guess I'll take the Blazer to have the Krown rustproofing done later this year, along with the yearly redo of the Krown rustproofing on the Avalanche. Hopefully it will help make the vehicle last a bit longer. Got a little over 30K miles on it so far for my $12,000 cost of the vehicle + repairs. Another 30K with the vehicle still looking good and I'll say I was able to drive my money out of it! New 4WD Sport Utilities are pretty expensive vehicles these days.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-30-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2018 | 05:53 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

24 years on salted winter roads. Mine still has just minor rust.
But I have a garage with a washing box. Every ride in the salt it gets washed down underneath. 5 minutes well invested.

Also got it waxed every 10 years or so. Next treatment due in some time.

Keeping fingers crossed that my rebuild shop will do a good job once the tranny is in for overhaul maybe end of the year or next year before I put the rebuilt engine in it.

Old 01-14-2024 | 04:28 PM
|

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Well I missed the first use for my Blazer this season. Instead of taking me to work in the snow today, it's riding on a flat bed to the tranny shop. Stripped sun shell - no reverse/2nd/4th gears. Was never abused and sun shell stripped just going into reverse at idle to back into my driveway. I'm not going to flat-back a tranny/transfer case in my garage in the winter and I really have no desire to work on it at this point - so $$$$$. Frickin' 4WDs.

Mine seems to be afraid of the snow. Getting a little frustrated. Now I'll be into a 2001 Blazer for a total of over $12,000 including the original purchase price back in August of 2014. I have driven it a total of 8000 miles. It's nice, but Geez!!! Will it never end? Can't keep on doing $2500 repairs every few thousand miles.

Beginning to wonder if it is worth it! Going to have to drive it until it rusts completely off the frame in order to get money back out of it! Unfortunately I don't do rusty cars any more and as a former Wisconsin vehicle, it's time here in Northern Indiana will be limited.

Coming up on 10 years and 130K miles since this thread!! Still no rust other than the painted rear bumper which I replaced during one of it's many trips to the body shop for small fender benders!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-14-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2024 | 12:55 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Thats a nice looking truck

George

Old 01-15-2024 | 01:55 PM
|

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Thats a nice looking truck

George
Thanks George, I always thought it was a pretty one and really liked the color. Too bad it had to start out such a POS. But it's been good for quite some time. I pull up my old first thread and cringe/laugh at what I see as a fairly clueless initial diagnosis. My Blazer taught me a lot!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-15-2024 at 06:33 PM.