Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

t was under warranty cause my mom owned it...truck has 11Engine click and oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:11 PM
nutzo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default t was under warranty cause my mom owned it...truck has 11Engine click and oil pressure

I just got this blazer last week...Its a 1996 2 door..4 wheel drive..LS...the engine has been replaced once when it was under warranty..my mom owned it before i did...so the truck has 100+k miles on it..but the engine has around 40k miles on it...i took it out to play around and did not beat it up at all..i barley had dirt above the fender wells from rooster tail...but i now have a probem...there is a constant knocking..clicking sound comming from the right side of the engine that gets faster when reving..also the oil pressure drops in idle to 20..but while driving it goes back up to 40...not sure where to start or what to do...

Old 11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: t was under warranty cause my mom owned it...truck has 11Engine click and oil pressure

Is it a knock (like someone knocking on your front door) or a tick (like tapping your keys on a window)?

20psi at idle is not bad. If it gets down around 10psi, then you have to worry.

Get me more details on the noise and we'll try to get you pointed in the right direction for the repair.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Default RE: t was under warranty cause my mom owned it...truck has 11Engine click and oil pressure

its kinda both...at idle its a tapping...like the tapping some cars have when they are low on oil and the valve springs tap...but when first and second gear are used..say from a red light start...its a knocking...the oil pressure stays at 40+ pressure when its cold start..but after a lil driving..at a stop it goes to 10...there was also some metal on metal squeaks today ...i checked the oil and its cooking and i got some glitter on the dip stick,,..someone told me it could be cam shaft or a spun a bearing????...im not a engine guy so i couldnt tell ya...hope this helps...thanks for checkin this...and if u think u know the problem...whats the average price range to have a mechanic do this??..thanks again

Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinkin a spun bearing. Same happened to mine during spring break. I ended up replacing the motor.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, if its a spun bearing, you're best bet would be a donor engine from the junkyard if you can't afford to rebuild your current one. That isn't something that typically happens, but can happen if run low on oil.

But hey, look on the bright side. Maybe it's time to stuff a v8 into that thing!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 PM

I HAVE BEEN wanting to go with a v-8 for a long time...looks like i got some work 2 do

Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 PM
sledneck16 is an unknown quantity at this point

what colour were the flakes--prolly right but its good to get a real close idea---find out if they are magnetic too.....and stop driving that truck lol [8D]

Old 11-10-2006, 05:08 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

40k on a replaced GM Crate Engine, its still under warranty.

I would go back to GM tell them their crate engine is junk, and have them do it under Warranty again. Might even pay to tell them to up it to the 350 over the 4.3 lt. Can do this under the customer statisfaction program. So it would be no extra cost to you.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

If the motor is under warranty, don't waste your time messing around with guesses here - take it to a dealer and have them diagnose it! If it's a spun bearing under warranty, youre home free. For that matter, any other internal problem should be covered. Use the warranty!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:33 AM

finally i got a day off and i had couple people look at it..One guy says its a bearing or a rod but no way to tell for sure untill we take the engine apart..other guy says...is it smoking or overheating?..i tell him no and he says i might get lucky and it just be the oil pump not getting pressure intothe crank case because he listened to it and says when the oil pressure is up its a slight tapping but when it drop is when it knocks...he told me to replace the oil pump first before i go for a new engine that it might be the fix...i also found out the engine is out of warranty and i have contacted all the salvage yards around here and they all want around 700-800 for a rebuilt or tested engine..and i dont have that money...not sure what to do...time to hit the pawn shop i guess

Quick Reply: t was under warranty cause my mom owned it...truck has 11Engine click and oil pressure