2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Lucky614 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 Blazer Trouble

Hello all!!! I Need Help!

I have a 2001 Blazer 4x4 that quit on me the other day. I was driving it home from work when I noticed that the serv eng light started flashing. Right after it flashed about 5 times the truck died and wouldn't start back up.

When I got it home I checked to make sure I had spark and do. Then I figured that it must be fuel so I changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure it was right at (65lbs) so I figured it must be the fuel press.regulator, I then changed it........nothing.

Anyone got any ideas Im fresh out?

Thanks for the help,
Ken

Old 01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2001 Blazer Trouble

Get your ignition control module tested at your local autoparts store. Haveing spark means nothing if it is happening at the wrong time. The ignition control module controls the spark timing, and you can still have spark if it is broken, just not at the right time.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First stupid question... Did you have the codes read? That will generally clue you in on the problem...

Old 01-17-2006, 03:51 PM

I haven't got to have the codes read yet do to not having a reader and I cant drive it to a parts house. I have a friend who is going to borrow me his reader tomorrow but I just wanted to check if anyone knew anything I could check without the reader........

Thanks for the info on the ICM I will have it checked today.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have learned the hard way when it comes to trouble shooting newer vehicles. It never pays to take the shotgun approach and just start replacing stuff. Other than to say, yeah I replaced all this stuff so now I know it's new and not the problem.

All of my diagnostics start with a full scan of the vehicle. Code listings and sensor data.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 AM

I'll let ya know later today what it shows on the scan. I agree with you on not liking to just replace stuff but in this case I knew it was about time for the fuel filter anyways and the Fuel Press Reg. had a years warranty so all it cost me was time and the price of the filter.

Thanks for the input,
Ken

Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Yeah, but the FPR isn't the easiest thing to replace... Hell, I'd replace the fuel filter at the drop of a hat if I even remotely thought it was a concern because of how in-expensive it is ($5 tops). I spend more on toilet paper in a month or coffee in a week! LOL

The FPR on the other hand... I would trouble shoot that thing to the death before attempting to open up that intake again. Although I might have to get into mine again to replace the intake gaskets. I've got alittle antifreeze leak to the outside that needs addressing at some point. That point probably won't be until spring/summer when I can park it in my dad's shop and work on it as I see fit. While I'm in there, I may swap out the cam and put on a new water pump, but only because I'm already going to have it torn down pretty damn far. Hell, I might just do an entire rebuild on the damn thing. Yank the motor and go. Who knows. My oil leak is in check now so that isn't much of a concern for me. I thought about just trying some more GM coolant tablets to see what would happen to the leak, but I don't think I'm that despirate.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 PM

Changing the fuel Press Reg didnt bother me at all, now the heater core.....thats another story!

Old 01-19-2006, 09:57 AM

Well I would never have thought it would be what it was. I went last nite and checked the codes and found none. The scan said that all systems were normal. Soooo I went back over the basics, checking everything that I had already checked. Just to be sure that I was getting good spark I went ahead and pulled two spark plugs and had my dad turn it over. Thats when I found the problem. I had one plug firing as normal and the other firing constantly showing me that the distributor cap was bad, which by the was is a week old. I happened to still have the old cap so I put it back on and after putting the plugs back in the truck cranked right up.

So all in all I did alot of work just to find it being the distributor cap but at least I know my Fuel Press Reg. is new!

Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed. It always pays to double check the parts you put in. Might I ask where you bought the cap/rotor from?

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer Trouble