2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer ZR2 Poor Mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Beginning Member
nalgman is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer ZR2 Poor Mileage.

Hello guys.. it's a long go since i wrote something here...

i bought this ZR2 Blazer 2001 4x4 4.3 , i recently got it.

the truck Runs Wonderful . i don't have a heavy foot..
but my mileage is really bad. i got like 8 mpg ... i have another blazer 1990 and i got the average 14mpg..

so i already change this:

1 spark plugs and calibrated at .60
2 replaced wires
3 fuel filter (was really really clogged)
4 clean EGR (there was no Gasket!!!).. so i put one
5- checked the Fuel Pump "Good"
6- Level gas sensor "need a change" fluctuates sometimes.

7 Check Engine code p0135 (First bank, sensor 1) i discovered that this sensor has crushed the wires... so i solder the wires and tape it..
im thinkin' maybe this sensor was damage in some way.. maybe???
the blue Wire was peeled off...

8 Repaired some Vacuum leak in the AC hoses.
9 new Pcv valve.
10 antifreeze.
11 oil change / air filter.

so, any ideas what i can do to improve some MPG???

thank you guys!!!!

Ruben

Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 AM
spittybays

Your doing every thing right so far. To really see if that o2s sensor is OK you should put on a scan tool to see if it's working. Just put a new delco in for around $35.00, made it up quick with the price of gas. With no gasket on the egr combined with the vac leak I'm sure your fuel trims were way up. Computer dumping a ton of gas to to make up for lean condition. Most likely never went into closed loop. The two temp sensors can also wreck all kinds of havoc with fuel economy.
If you get the codes checked make sure you write down what they are and let us know.
Can you tell us how the fuel pump was tested, since you put it in quotes I am assuming a second party told you this. Am I correct?

Last edited by spittybays; 10-05-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

^^, +1. Also, might want to do a leakdown test on the fuel system. You may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator or injector. Or you can just look down the throttle body, towards the passenger side. If it looks really clean and shows signs of washing, then you have a leak.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member
Default Poor mileage

Originally Posted by spittybays
Your doing every thing right so far. To really see if that o2s sensor is OK you should put on a scan tool to see if it's working. Just put a new delco in for around $35.00, made it up quick with the price of gas. With no gasket on the egr combined with the vac leak I'm sure your fuel trims were way up. Computer dumping a ton of gas to to make up for lean condition. Most likely never went into closed loop. The two temp sensors can also wreck all kinds of havoc with fuel economy.
If you get the codes checked make sure you write down what they are and let us know.
Can you tell us how the fuel pump was tested, since you put it in quotes I am assuming a second party told you this. Am I correct?
Yes, i pull down the fuel tank to change the fuel sensor,but i need to change it again.
The pump it in good shape.i didnt test it with a gauge but the truck has a good response wen i hit the gas.
But i always hear the sound of the fuel pump if i get close to the tank...its this normal?

Anothe thing its that the o2 code never came back after the soldering.but i still dont trust this o2sensor.right now i checked the 4x4 to its not stuck or something.and no, i lift the truck from the differential and put in gear just to see if the front tires move.and it ok. What i didnt do,its to clean the fuel injector system with a injector clear into the tank. I already bought some stp jet treatment but i'll wait until fill the tank.

I want to clean the maf with some contact cleaner.

I dont know what else to to.

Thank you guys

I noticed that the pcv valve humbles a little wen its cold.i dont know if this is normal.wen gets warm its. Normal.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Beginning Member
Default checking the Jets

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
^^, +1. Also, might want to do a leakdown test on the fuel system. You may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator or injector. Or you can just look down the throttle body, towards the passenger side. If it looks really clean and shows signs of washing, then you have a leak.
hello...
the fuel pressure regulator is the connector in the passenger side like a 1inch by two? if it is, its good.. no fuel leaking.
it's there a way to know if the injectors are leaking without taking all off?

when i bought this truck and changed the spark plugs, the plugs where normal. not to much carbon on it. just the normal..

what I'm planning to do, is to go some shop and clean the injectors..

im open to all ideas possible!!!

thank you

Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM
spittybays

Think your looking at the purge valve but really have no idea. To see the regulator you need to remove the plenum.
Look on youtube the vids will give you a little better idea how this thing is put together and it will make more sense.
That whole thing about what a picture is worth.

Last edited by spittybays; 10-05-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM

I would start off by replacing the sensor that was damaged. The solder might not have done the trick. If you are still getting bad mpg, do a fuel pressure leakdown test. If that comes back good, make sure you don't have a sticking caliper, make sure your tires are inflated properly, etc.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member
Default Leaking

Hello you guys

Ill do the pressure check in the regulator..i really hope this one be good.
So if the pressure are ok it means that don have a leak in my injectors or faulty pressure regulator. I was thinking in the o2sensor.i dont know if the solder works because the car don throw me a code again. . And yesterday i came to my home and the water pump was leaking...i ll replace it by now.
I recently order from amazon an elm scanner to connect to the pc a cheap piece.but this would help a little when tryin to see a code or something
Well guys thabk you .ill posr in a short while .

Thanks all of you

Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Yes, your fuel pressure should be between 60 and 65 and not go below 55 for 10 minutes. You do the test with the key on and engine off! If it holds pressure then your fuel system is ok. Get that o2 sensor and water pump replaced. Then do the fuel pressure test.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nalgman
Hello you guys

Ill do the pressure check in the regulator..i really hope this one be good.
So if the pressure are ok it means that don have a leak in my injectors or faulty pressure regulator. I was thinking in the o2sensor.i dont know if the solder works because the car don throw me a code again. . And yesterday i came to my home and the water pump was leaking...i ll replace it by now.
I recently order from amazon an elm scanner to connect to the pc a cheap piece.but this would help a little when tryin to see a code or something
Well guys thabk you .ill posr in a short while .

Thanks all of you
Yes, if pressure holds it means there are no leaks inside the plenum.

Those Amazons are cheap Chinese copies of the ELM chip.

I bought my genuine ELM scanner here:
ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software

Cheapest they have is $50. That allows you to do a lot more than just read codes. Like live data logging. Features depend on the software you use with the scanner.

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer ZR2 Poor Mileage.