2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Chevy Blazer Passlock problem- I THINK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:52 PM
dtslammer is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Chevy Blazer Passlock problem- I THINK!!!!

I have 2001 blazer and about three weeks ago. I had a similar problem, the car just would not start. luckily there was a mecanic across the street. But the tow did not show up. So the next day I called the tow again, got it across the street and the mechanic did a diagnostic. Could find no problem and the car started right up. Last night had the same problem, car act as though it was going to start but would not turn over. I believe it is the passlock system blocking fuel but just not sure. I tried the leave in on position for 10 mins. and then wait for 5 to 20 secs. and restart fix and it did not work. Now the battery is dead(although I did try to disconnect the battery to see if it would reset the theft deterrent system) did I do something wrong, are you suppose to wait in the car, or maybe not turn the car all the way to the on position like the car is running, because I have no clue. So now I'm waiting for my battery to recharge, but I still don't know what's causing the issue. Any suggestion on a DIY fix. I would greatly appreciate any feed back because I am stumped and broke. And the least expensive fix. The mecanic changed the fuel filter but not the pump. And because of the result of the diagnostic, I do not believe that's the problem. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I moved this to a new thread so you could get better visibility to your problem instead of having it buried in an older thread.

When you are having trouble starting your truck, is your security light illuminated? If it is, it is very likely that you have a failing ignition switch.

If not, it does not rule out a failing ignition switch, but some other checks can be done first. I would start with a fuel pressure test, specifically when you are having the problem.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 AM
pjh421 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, same vehicle. Mine turned out to be the security sensor. It was tracked down and replaced by a Chevy dealership. It was several hundred bucks. First, I had replaced the fuel pump twice. I also replaced the crank sensor ($15 dollar part at Auto Zone you can do yourself if needs be). Of course these were unnecessary but I didn't know that at the time. After the trip to the dealer, it worked fine for a year and just last week started acting up again...same symptoms. At least I know what it probably is this time. It took about 2 years of having the vehicle not start reliably before I gave up and took it in. Usually it would start but there were many times I would have to wait 15 minutes after initially trying to start it. Then it would fire right up like nothing had happened. I recommend that you cut to the chase and just have a dealer test it out in order to save a heck of a lot of frustration.

Paul

edit: BTW mine has a remote start and that obviously does nothing to help the situation. I've seen that recommended as a possible work-around on other sites.

Last edited by pjh421; 04-13-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 PM
dtslammer is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for taking an interest in this post for me.To-Swartlkk, The has not came on either time it sounds like its out of gas and will fire up. I tried the fix and it worked but I don't want to get stranded so I'm trying to trouble the problem without spending a unnecessary amount of money. But I definitely think it has something to do with the anti theft system. because I do use a duplicated key most of the time because only have 1 original which my spouse has on her key ring.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it work better with the original key? If you have not tried it yet...

It very well could still be an ignition switch problem.