2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 Intake Gasket and Distributor Cap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM
lcars is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2002 Intake Gasket and Distributor Cap FAST HELP!!!

Well....I decided to play the tedious game ofdizzy up and dizzy down. Since it ended up point to cylinder #3 (this seemed to be the position it ended up at when the dizzy was removed). I dediced not to go with the screw driver as I need to see what I am doing. So I monitored the rotation as I pulled the dizzy out, put itin, pulled it out, and rotated it around to the 180 position and kept this up until I knew it was back at #1 TDC (360 position, more like the 340).

Tedious, but it worked (I hope). We'll see when I finish putting it back together. Only have the fuel lines and the plug and play components left. Still gonna change the oil even though there is no coolant in it. Right front corner of the gasket blew apart, luckily it was in the driveway when it happened.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:53 PM

That didn't work. So now, I have to try to figure out how to get it back to #1 at TDC since it threw the P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CRT Range/Performance, plus the dang thing thumps while driving.

Anyone have an idea the easiest way to do this? I heard using a pencil or dowl rod in the #1 sparkplug socket and turning the crank until the pencil or dowl rod is at its highest point, then reseating the dizzy, but I don't have a lot of time to tinker around with this.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Put your finger over the plug hole. when you feel pressure your on the compression stroke. Make sure the timing marks line up on the crank pulley and timing cover.

there is a way to pretime the distributor prior to installation, something to do with lining up a green mark with gear pin at teh bottom. Klye posted them once for me.

If you dont know hte magic sequence, make sure the #1 is TDC, then drop the dist. in so it points to number one on the cap.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:45 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Here's how you start from scratch. Put the engine to TDC as Hanr3 has described.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/7572D99B667B42B49BC0F7CF616FB449.gif[/IMG]

Important:Rotate the number 1 cylinder to top dead center (TDC) of the compression stroke. The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks (spaced 90degrees apart) which are used for positioning number 1 piston at top dead center (TDC). With the piston on the compression stroke and at top dead center, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark(1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).
Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number 1 piston is at top dead center of the compression stroke.
[ol][*]Align white paint mark on the bottom stem of the distributor, and the pre-drilled indent hole in the bottom of the gear(3).[*]Notice:The ignition system distributor driven gear and rotor may be installed in multiple positions. In order to avoid mistakes, mark the distributor on the following components in order to ensure the same mounting position upon reassembly: [/ol][align=left]
[ol][*]•[/ol]
The distributor driven gear [/align][align=left]

•
The distributor shaft [/align][align=left]

•
The rotor holes [/align][ol][*]Installing the driven gear 180degrees out of alignment, or locating the rotor in the wrong holes, will cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear or damage may result.
[*][/ol]
[ol][*]With the gear in this position, the rotor segment should be positioned as shown for a V6 engine(1) or V8engine(2). (2nd pic attatched)[/ol]
[align=left]
[ol][*]-[/ol]
The alignment will not be exact. [/align][align=left]

-
If the driven gear is installed incorrectly, the dimple will be approximately 180degrees opposite of the rotor segment when the gear is installed in the distributor. [/align][ol]Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
Guide the distributor into the engine. Ensure that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.
[/ol]
[ol][*]Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base. [/ol][align=left]

-
If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more. [/align][align=left]

-
If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment[/align]

Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 AM

Really appreciate it and many thanks to all of you for your help on this issue. Project complete, distributor in correctly, code cleared, runs like a champ...er...Blazer.

New threads to come on other topics (now what!)