2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2003 2 door Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Beginning Member
Skyray is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 2 door Blazer

I have tried to no avail to figure out Why my Lift glass will not open with the tailgate switch????!!! I have read all the suggestions from all over the internet ,here and there everywhere.....I have been into the tailgate,everything is working,no broken or binding release rods,actuator works,dash switch works to release,keyless transmitter opens the lift glass,but the tailgate switch stopped opening it recently....and when i callled the Chevy dealer here and there,they say that switch is not in stock but can be ordered,etc. in essence they say that they never have to replace them! or that they do not give any trouble?????and that is why they do not have i stock....and in all the discussions on the forums,no one ever mentions anything about this switch .....they have to give trouble somewhere along the way??it is about a $35 part thru the dealer but hate to buy one and find out it is not the problem! any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated......is it a BCM reflash problem????? driving me nuts!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
jtorlando25 is on a distinguished road

So when you press the button on the tailgate do you hear the actuator moving?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member

Do not hear anything....no actuator noise at all......I did read one post somewhere that the contacts do corroide on these switches and give problems,no where else have I seen anyone suggesting that the switch could be bad????and dealers do not stock them but can be ordered on a couple websites....most Chevy parts sites don't even list theml.....thanks for the reply.......any idea??????all fuses check okay and can hear the relay at the under the hood fuse box working when using the transmitter/key

Last edited by Skyray; 10-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Beginning Member
jtorlando25 is on a distinguished road

Def sounds like a bad button.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member

yeah that is what I suspected all along but nobody else has had this problem????????? leave it to me to be the odd ball!

Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Starting Member
RichyRich68 is on a distinguished road

I'm a new member...I can't figure out how to post? can u help me here?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:16 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Time to take the tailgate interior panel off and get the switch out of the tailgate. You might be able to clean the contacts....IDK...never had it apart.
I think there are two wires to the switch, may be only one....again never been in there. But if two, take wires off of switch and short together....should hear actuator. Or if only one, just touch to chassis and should hear acutator.

If by chance you get it out...take a few pictures and post them....I know I would like to see what it looks like.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM
ckroll98 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. No key fob, so can't tell, but my dash button works, but the button on the gate doesn't work. No sound. Can turn the key in the button, which will lock and unlock the front doors, but does nothing for the window glass.
Just haven't taken the time to investigate or fix yet.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member
Hollywood411 is on a distinguished road

Mine does this but only part time. I have to mash the button like 5 or 9 times sometimes. And sometimes it works the first time I push it. I think I would feel better if it was consistant.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Beginning Member

Glad to know I am not the only one who has this same problem!....it almost has to be the tailgate button/switch....but yet the dealer says they don't ever even sell them????????and no dealer I have called even had them in stock??????doesn't even make any sense!......all said they could order them and I have a good part # for it (15760719) Rockauto.com does not list it either! ....wish i could find that one post/forum in which one guy said they DO give a lot of trouble,claimed he took it apart and the contacts were serverly corroided due to it not being sealed up very well,exposed to the elements,etc.....said he replaced it with a new one and in only a short period it did the same thing,quit working!and you have to take everything apart to get to it as it is the last componet to take out,suppose to be held in there with a clip of some sort?when I had my tailgate apart,I couldn't even see it because the latch assembly is covering it up and I didn't want to remove it for fear of getting all that out of alignment.......bottom line here....It is definitely the push button switch in the tailgate not working due to corrision over time......everyone pretty much agree???????????

Quick Reply: 2003 2 door Blazer