2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2004 4.3 Blazer Spider Injector removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Beginning Member
kaynos is on a distinguished road
Question 2004 4.3 Blazer Spider Injector removal

Purchased a replacement spider assy and plugged it in easy, reassembled engine. Engine had single misfire and it got worse now has severe misfires and barely runs. I think the spider assembly is defective.

Now trying to remove the new injectors from intake, and they are separating at the injector leaving the plastic tube in the lower intake manifold. Anyone have a good way to remove these plastic tubes? Do I need to pull the lower intake again and drive them out?

Thanks for your help..

Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The updated MFI spider really clips in hard. They aren't impossible to remove without removing the LIM, but it can be quite a task to get them out without breaking or mangling them.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 PM
joey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Kaynos,

By any chance did you purchase a Delphi unit? I just replaced mine and I think I have the same issue. Removed the air intake from the throttle body and could smell raw gas under the butterfly valve.

Thanks,
Joe

98 Blazer LT 4x4
4.3 vortec auto

Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

Funny.. Swartlkk, remember I had this same issue with the Delphi unit? I went back to the original one and it worked fine. Wonder if Delphi one is messing up, or if we are all installing it wrong? I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. I'm curious to see how this one plays out. I suppose I would try to get a Delco one the next time I tried it and see if that helps. To get the plastic caps out I would try to use a probe to try and slide it out.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The AC Delco unit I installed in my old '00 Bravada came with specific instructions pertaining to the routing of the #3 injector. Did the delphi units come with this instruction?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 PM
joey is an unknown quantity at this point

It came with instructions on routing the #3 hose behind #1 and plugging the injectors in sequence. Installation went smoothly and nothing seemed to bind. After reading some online reviews, I come to find that others have had similar issues with this unit.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Beginning Member

Mine wasn't a new delphi part that I know of. I purchased a reman unit from injectorwhse.com. It appears near identical except the injector insulator tubes are brown. I thought the price was reasonable but I'm on my second defective one, both leaked gas gas terribly. I verified by connecting fuel lines to it with the upper intake manifold off and performing a pressure test. I can't get the plastic injector insulators out of the intake manifold. Perhaps I am installing wrong. I tried to route each injector with minimal stress to the connections. Bad luck I guess.

It's looking like I'll have to pull the LIM again, new gaskets prob too. This project has become a nightmare.

Does anyone have a source for Delphi part new along with a part number for a 2004 4.3 blazer?

Last edited by kaynos; 07-29-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Beginning Member

Can I get some input on new spider injectors for a 2004 Chevy 4.3? Where is a good place to order them and Are the Delphi's the best to order for new replacements?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The AC Delco unit I installed in my old '00 Bravada came with specific instructions pertaining to the routing of the #3 injector. Did the delphi units come with this instruction?
It said to route under #1 if that is what you mean. They aren't very easy to move and almost feel like you are forcing them where they don't want to go, gave me a strange uneasy feeling when installing. I never like that feeling. .

Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by pheaton
It said to route under #1 if that is what you mean. They aren't very easy to move and almost feel like you are forcing them where they don't want to go, gave me a strange uneasy feeling when installing. I never like that feeling. .
Yeah, they can be stubborn. And yes, that is what I was talking about with the #1 & #3 routing. If you don't route it correctly, the hose can rub against the spider bracket and possibly ground out an injector or cut a line if left long enough.

It's lookin' like the Delphi units are somewhat problem prone. I've replaced 3 now and always used the AC Delco unit. No problems with any of them.

Quick Reply: 2004 4.3 Blazer Spider Injector removal