2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2004 4x4 4 door blazer problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member
Metalmaniac is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 4x4 4 door blazer problems

Hello, I am new here and new to car owning in general. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here. I have a 2004 4 door 4x4 blazer i purchased almost a year ago and ive been fixing and replacing things to get it running again. I have been able to finally get it running and its been reliable so far. My question though is when I am driving I can tell that my feet are getting warm. My AC is not working currently so I do not have it on nor do I have it on the vent or on the hot side of the dial. I am wondering if there is a leak or if that is normal. I am also wondering what kind of upgrades I can get for my vehicle. Like I said I am new to vehicle owning as this is my first car. Another thing I have noticed is that my doors do not actually lock and my driver door is not aligned properly to the latch. What can I do there because I have tried looking up door replacements but have not been able to find any. I appreciate anyone who will be able to help!

Old 03-22-2021, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

As for vehicle upgrades, there's so many options, you need to decide if you want to Raise/lower/stock upgrade it lol. For the door alignment, I would look into the door hinges pins. And the locks, I would start with fuses, then check the door to see if everything is hooked up properly in the mechanism.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Door alignment is likely worn or broken hinge pin bushings.

Please explain the door lock situation more. The lock works with the key but not the electric lock switches in the doors? All doors? All switches? How about the remote?

George

Old 03-24-2021, 12:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Door alignment is likely worn or broken hinge pin bushings.

Please explain the door lock situation more. The lock works with the key but not the electric lock switches in the doors? All doors? All switches? How about the remote?

George
So what happens is I can lock it manually and with the remote and the key but it will not stay locked. How do I go about replacing the door hinge pins? I noticed yesterday that the lock thing that the door is supposed to align to has been replaced already but they added and welded a piece of metal to it for some reason. I can take a picture and show later I am currently not near my car for a while.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:07 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL
As for vehicle upgrades, there's so many options, you need to decide if you want to Raise/lower/stock upgrade it lol. For the door alignment, I would look into the door hinges pins. And the locks, I would start with fuses, then check the door to see if everything is hooked up properly in the mechanism.
For upgrades I was mostly wondering if there are any upgrades for better mileage and other things like Upgraded headlights/backlights. radios, led indoor light upgrades, a digital dash maybe. things like that.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran

There's a qrite up on here on switching out interior for leds, and swapping out exterior lights as well...

Radio there really is no limit, bunch of threads on hereonto that too...

As more mileage, we'll that one will be a little harder. Maintenance is a big one, swapping out the exhaust and intake will well the engine breath better, allowing somewhat of a gain there... but there's not too much you can do to these engines, swapping them out will produce better results lol.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL
There's a qrite up on here on switching out interior for leds, and swapping out exterior lights as well...

Radio there really is no limit, bunch of threads on hereonto that too...

As more mileage, we'll that one will be a little harder. Maintenance is a big one, swapping out the exhaust and intake will well the engine breath better, allowing somewhat of a gain there... but there's not too much you can do to these engines, swapping them out will produce better results lol.
For the write ups are they specifically for the 4x4 2004 4 door blazer?

Old 03-24-2021, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran

As for specifics to the 4doors, I'm not too sure, but it will have the same information, as they are the "same" from 95-05, and I believe there's not many/any different in the interior lights. Other then the roof consoles, which in the end will be the number of bulbs not the bulb difference.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:41 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Our trucks have a common problem where the bushings in the door hinges start to wear or break. The door sags, may leak and the constant slamming closed can damage the strike plate and/or the center pillar. If your lucky the fix is simply replacing the hinge bushings and pins as it was with mine. The door gets supported or suspended, the pins are removed, the bushings replaced and then reassembly. Sometimes oversized bushings are in order. Worst case is welding in either location. If you search, there are many threads on this but here is one which includes discussion of the OS bushings:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...stalled-89003/

Regarding the locks, so you can fully lock all four doors and then all four doors spontaneously pop back open with the electric lock motors?

George

Old 03-24-2021, 02:19 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Our trucks have a common problem where the bushings in the door hinges start to wear or break. The door sags, may leak and the constant slamming closed can damage the strike plate and/or the center pillar. If your lucky the fix is simply replacing the hinge bushings and pins as it was with mine. The door gets supported or suspended, the pins are removed, the bushings replaced and then reassembly. Sometimes oversized bushings are in order. Worst case is welding in either location. If you search, there are many threads on this but here is one which includes discussion of the OS bushings:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...stalled-89003/

Regarding the locks, so you can fully lock all four doors and then all four doors spontaneously pop back open with the electric lock motors?

George
Its not like they pop back open or anything. It just doesn't stay locked. meaning that it looks like it is locked but I can open the door without trying to unlock my doors and the alarm goes off.

Quick Reply: 2004 4x4 4 door blazer problems