2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2004 blazer zr2 front bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member
mkm1387 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2004 blazer zr2 front bearings

So today I attempted to replace my front wheel hub bearings in my truck, everything went great until it came time to take the old bearing out. The bolts were all removed and the abs harness disconnected but I could not get the bearing itself to move. I have been told to either buy a slide hammer or a gear pulling mechanism. Which one of these would work better? Does anyone have any useful suggestions on removing the thing? What would be the best tool/method to do this?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member
mylittletonkatruck is on a distinguished road

I used a tri-tool (pulley remover) to get mine off and it worked like a charm.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, thats what I mean by gear pulling mechanism, the pully remover, but ive been told that the slide hammer works much better. I feel like the tri-tool would not be strong enough to get that bearing off. Mine is locked on pretty good. Did yours hook up to your standard rachet? And did you simply use the ratchet to remove the bearing?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member

Also, how badly was your corroded on there?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member
mylittletonkatruck is on a distinguished road

I don't drive on salted roads so it wasn't too bad. Also, I used an impact to remove it. I've never used a slide hammer so I can't tell you if it works better or not.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM
spittybays

Originally Posted by mylittletonkatruck
I used a tri-tool (pulley remover) to get mine off and it worked like a charm.
cheap and always worked for me, make sure to give the axle a couple of good wraps with a hammer and punch first. Theres a dimple/divet there so you don't smash the treads

Old 03-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Don't use a puller that exerts pressure on the dimple in the end of the CV axle. On the driver side, the pressure will be transfered through the axle and can damage the differential. On the passenger side it can damage the 4X4 axle clutch, and the differential. As mentioned, make sure the splined axle moves freely in the hub, then use a slide hammer. Make sure you put some anti seize on the splines during reassembly. That will help the next guy out.... the next guy might be you

Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
spittybays

I did not know that. Thank you!

Old 03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Don't use a puller that exerts pressure on the dimple in the end of the CV axle. On the driver side, the pressure will be transfered through the axle and can damage the differential. On the passenger side it can damage the 4X4 axle clutch, and the differential. As mentioned, make sure the splined axle moves freely in the hub, then use a slide hammer. Make sure you put some anti seize on the splines during reassembly. That will help the next guy out.... the next guy might be you
What dimple do you speak of?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member

So slide hammer is safer than the tri tool?

Quick Reply: 2004 blazer zr2 front bearings