2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2005 Blazer 4wd Drive Train Shutter while in OD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, the big red wire feeds the underhood fuse panel, it goes directly to battery positive. Jump from there to the fuel pump prime terminal and the pump must turn on.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road
Default Pressure TEST COMPLETE FINALLY!

( gauge is far away from camera but it is acton one so it goes 20,40,60,80,100)
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw-n...ature=youtu.be

Results

60 psi right off the bat!

Stop power to it, it drops to 55 psi

5 mins later 52 psi
11 mins later 51 psi

Followed all the rules, fire extinguisher, EVEN MADE A WICKED FUEL PUMP PRIME WIRE!!!

Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

60psi is within spec, but it is the bare minimum. Leakdown drop to 51psi is a bit excessive, (shouldn't drop below 55psi after 10 minutes). Next step is to check fuel pressure and leakdown at the fuel filter outlet. All pressure and flow must end at the tester.

You will need the following parts to adapt the fuel filter outlet so you can attach the fuel pressure tester:

1 Dorman 800-121, (available at most auto parts stores).
3' of fuel injection rated rubber fuel line, (available at most auto parts stores).
2 hose clamps, (available at most auto parts stores).
1 1/4" MFL to 3/8" male hose barb, (available at most good plumbing departments) SS 1/4 MFL x 3/8 barb

With the tester connected, use the jumper that you used to test regulated pressure, and activate the fuel pump. Write down the pressure. Disconnect the jumper, wait 10 minutes and write down the pressure. Post both readings.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Starting Member

Hi, I just replaced all 4 shocks on my truck and installed a new rear seat! Also installed new vanity sunvisors that have mirrors on them!

I am going to tranny place for diagnosis and they've already quoted me $1350 installed with new torque converter, 1 year warranty so this seems more in line. tomorrow I will most likely be dropping it off to get done. It seems no matter how you cut it everyone pretty well says torque converter tcc clutch is dead which means converter in "essence" is considered not 100%.

My gut tells me a full fluid exchange and new filter would flush everything out but no shop is saying this has ever fixed a shutter. It's just easier for them to just call the converter, which means calling out the rebuild. In both cases they replace all the fluid which may/may not of fixed the problem in the first place.

Great link I read here:
http://www.vehiclesdefined.com/trans...how-to-fix-it/

I will build the fuel tool you mentioned once tranny is done. I will also re-do fuel pressure test one more time.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by joejiz; 04-03-2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: link
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Starting Member

Sorry for delay, I have decided to have it rebuilt and not use my money attempting to troubleshoot by doing a full fluid exchange. I tried the shutter fix stuff but never got it up to highway speeds. the truck tended to shake above 30km/hr anyway so perhaps its the converter REALLY on it's way out. Never the less I've completely learned about the transmission and how to service it, the valve body, the clutch, solenoid's, filters. I'm having them install a separate tranny cooler. Aside of that lets hope this does it, 1 year warranty.

I'll continue the misfire diagnosis after I get tranny back.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Starting Member

Hi

Just an update CH->
Hi, well after long analysis and thought process out the yin yang I decided that I could spend the $120-$200 on a flush and drive it and see if it fixed it. I could get a company to install a new valve body I supplied or install a shift kit I supplied or a corvette servo and hope for the best however one thing remained I think the grind noise was the difference between troubleshooting a shudder on it's own and a shudder plus a real bad converter problem.

After thinking it over I knew that as much as I hate to say it, just removing the converter and putting it back in would be dumb. It makes sense to rebuild it at the same time. How fun is it to drive around wondering? Especially if you use it for work. The shop that I choose was a wholesale tranny place. They farm out the converter work so converter comes back (or is taken of a shelf because they are a dime a dozen) and is installed. This is no princess in the sky beautiful canopy place with a service manager making 85k. I've got one year warranty on it and a brand new external tranny cooler installed for $1600.

Tranny now works great, I will be retiring the fuel pressure test and might build the fuel gauge attachment you mentioned when I have some more time.

thanks CH