2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2nd Gen Blazer: Major systems to monitor to prevent trouble later

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Question 2nd Gen Blazer: Major systems to monitor to prevent trouble later?

Hi All,

From my .sig file you'll see I have a 99 Blazer LT, 4WD, AT. It has about 135,000 miles on it and I would like to keep using it for at least another 30k to 40k miles.

I've been doing I think a pretty good job with maintaining it and servicing the major systems but I was wondering if there is anything for which I should be keeping an eye out?

In the last few years I've done maintenance or replaced parts on the following:
  • Transmission rebuilt with extra cooler installed
  • new front suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, pitman arm, front wheel bearings)
  • regular fluid checks and replacement (engine oil, front and rear axle oil, transfer case, transmission, engine coolant, brake fluid)
  • fuel filter, air filter
  • under-hood vacuum hoses replaced
  • cooling system hoses replaced
  • front shocks replaced
  • debris cleared from under windshield grill and door jams
  • serpentine belt
  • Cap, rotor Spark plugs and wires replacement (to be done soon)
  • exhaust system from cat-conv. back replaced
  • brakes, front, rear, park, pads/shoes and general maintenance

Things I've never had to service include:
  • universal joints on driveshafts
  • power steering system
  • body wiring harness
  • engine compartment wiring harness
  • rear axle seals/bearings
  • front transaxle (including cv-joints and front axles)
  • rear shocks/springs
  • fuel tank/pump
  • starter
  • exhaust from engine to far end of cat-conv.
  • body, corrosion or paint peeling
  • alternator/charging system

The only outstanding issue now is the SIR trouble-light goes on and off now and then.

Are there other systems besides those that I have not had to service that might be problem down the road?

Of the systems that I have not needed to service, are any of them prone to becoming a problem someday? Are any probably not going to an issue?

Thanks

Christine

P.S. Added later: I have replaced the oil cooler lines the run from the rear of the engine block to the remote oil filter. Thanks to jck1961 for asking about that repair.

Last edited by christine_208; 10-09-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: forgot "?" in title, updated list
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 PM
jck1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first thing that comes to mind that is not on your list is the oil cooler lines. There are two pair of lines, one on each side of the oil filter.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

jck1961,

It is funny you mentioned that. Replacing those oil cooler lines that go along the engine block was the last thing I did.

I can only guess that I did not include doing that on my list because my subconscious was blocking the traumatic memory of doing the repair.

Damn was that an annoying repair to do. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to look over my list!

Christine

Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

chalk one up for the Zr2's , I didn't have to jack the motor to pull out these lines. it was a piece of cake.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I would try to avoid gasoline with ethanol in it. Why --phase separation, especially when the vehicle sits for awhile. That may be difficult to do in ID= Idaho. Here in SC gas has 10% ethanol and they would like to go to 15%. The best example of what ethanol does to gas is in lawn mowers, chain saws, weed eaters, and other small engines which have carbs and tend to sit a lot between seasons. They have to have the fuel system cleaned to get them going again after a season of sitting.
I recommend keeping the old serp. belt as a spare. Wrap it in a plastic bag and store it in one of the compartments in the rear wheel area. You will be glad you have it if the serp. belt ever breaks and all the parts stores are closed or far away.