2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

3 BELTS AND A NEW TENSIONER. CHIRPING/SQUEAKING wont stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member
aaaaaa18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Resurrecting this from the first page:

It is unclear to me that anyone understood to try soaping the EDGES of the belt.
I've seen this come up on several other forums and that chirp is nearly always due to pulley misalignment. Pulley may be too far forward or back or at slight angle {bracket misalign} Almost always a ribbed pulley

And yes, I have personal experience with this, on replacing a Ford power steering pump.. Reinstalled pulley a fraction off and it started chirping soon after.
Not to sound stupid, but isn't the power steering pulley the only adjustable one. If so it looks like its in line pretty good. If it's another pulley how do I figure out with was isn't aligned correctly? Also if it is a misalignment, why does soap shut it up? Thanks

Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by aaaaaa18
Not to sound stupid, but isn't the power steering pulley the only adjustable one. If so it looks like its in line pretty good. If it's another pulley how do I figure out with was isn't aligned correctly? Also if it is a misalignment, why does soap shut it up? Thanks
Squeak is the result of friction.. grab/release at very high rate. Like clean fingers on clean glass is an example.
Soap is temporary lubricant/friction modifier.

I suppose you could get a strong light and magnifying glass and find the pulley where the edge of belt and the shoulder of the pulley are 'impinging'.
Just try it.. may not be the case.

If it does work, may have to use a straightedge .. or look for slight wobble from bent pulley.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-31-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Frog
Yes, your mechanic is correct about the P/S pulley. I have seen some installed too deep and some not enough...that is why I asked about the shaft on the P/S pump.

To verify that the pulley is aligned correctly they actually have a tool (laser) that sits on the pulley itself and shoots a laser beam out to another pulley and you make sure it is shining on the same groove as the other. Or you can take a long straight edge and place it on the face of another (ribbed) pulley and make sure they are inline...you could eye ball it and get close but, it might still squeak if it is out of alignment.
Was recommended awhile ago.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
SuperG is on a distinguished road
Default here's how I fixed my chirp

I did a visual inspection of the belt and how it looked in between pulleys. It looked just a hair off going to and from the power steering, so I used a pulley remover to bring the pulley out just a hair. The chirp got only slightly better, so I figured I'd flip the belt around (new O'Reilly's belt installed made the chirp bad in the first place). Now she purr's like a kitten!

'98 LS 4.3 with 216,000 miles and counting!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member
wisowebs is on a distinguished road

I went to a 1/2 shorter belt on my blazer, it helped for about 1500 miles. I had a buddy over late last week, shooting the breeze, he mentioned (he is a mechanic) that they use di-electrical grease. So we tossed my old gatorback on, squeak came right away, put some di-electical, small amount, on both sides, shut it right up, and has for over 3000 miles.

I was like WOW, he said the blazer are really finnicky with the belts, and they use the di-electrical all the time.

Now in regards to your video, it sounds alot different than mine, does it make that noise with the belt off?

Try the di-electrical, couldnt believe how well it worked!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
dryden3 is on a distinguished road
Default Fixed chirp

The guy a couple posts back gave me an idea. I looked straight down and I could tell from the alignment of the belt that the Power Steering pump pulley was pressed on just under 1/8" further than the Crankshaft pulley. I rented a pulley puller from Autozone, pulled the Power Steering pump pulley out just a hair (had to remove air box to make room to do this) then VOILA, the chirp is fixed!! I've owned that Blazer for 2 years, and it's always had that chirp!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the alternator has been changed-check for alignment as well- You'd be surprised how many wrenches get this wrong from the get go. Good luck

Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
SuperG is on a distinguished road

Glad that helped.

'98 LS 223,000 and counting!

Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road

For the most part it is the quality of the belt. But if you don't want to replace the belt if it isn't worn out, just spray with some ArmorAll. I've had this problem on at least 3 GM vehicles and it worked for several thousand miles till I got a new good quality belt.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Beginning Member
duckland23 is on a distinguished road

I also get the same chirp or squeak as the belt go's around the pulleys . I changed the belt tensioner pulley from autozone . The ilder pulley spins good too. But when the altenator pulley when is spinned it will get bearing noise . How old is the bearings in the altenator im unsure . But if the truck heats up the noise is gone or down to minimal nosie . I was reading about someone that said about the alenator pulley if not aligned right you can get a chrip or squeak when the belt is turning around the pulleys . I seen the video that a person made on here . My belt is not making that type of noise . just that it squeaks once or twice as it go's around the pulleys . The belt looks like its new and the ilder pulley is good as far as I can seor hear . Im wondering if the belt tensioner will losen up in the spring after time . I always thought they where tighter than my blet tensioner is . all my other car where alway real tight . But Im using a belt tensioner tool for belt changing out . I bought that from sears years ago .

Quick Reply: 3 BELTS AND A NEW TENSIONER. CHIRPING/SQUEAKING wont stop