2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4wd Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
Beckyj636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4wd Problem

OK if the truck is in 4wd and turning hard Left or Right ,it don't matter the truck want to slow down (if foot is not on gas pedal the truck will come to a stop quickly). But in 2wd this does not happen. Any ideas where to look at? Perhaps the front drive shafts bad?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does this primarily happen when you are on pavement? How does it react when you are on loose gravel?

This sounds like normal operation of a 4wd vehicle. When you turn, each wheel follows a different path, requiring each wheel to turn at a different rate. Since the transfer case links the front axle to the rear axle, it requires the front and rear driveshafts to turn at the same speed (i.e. no differential). Since this does not happen, you get the "crab walk" as it is commonly referred to. This is due to the drivetrain binding up, making the wheels have to slip to maintain the same speed at the driveshafts. This is especially noticable on high traction surfaces and is the reason why 4wd should not be used on these surfaces unless you are going straight.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

How fast are you going? Is it doing anything else? If you are on a hard dry surface, then Kyle pretty much summed it up.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Starting Member

We have underground parking and when coming in to the garage we make a right hand turn. (In 4wd) I turn the wheel right almost all the way and you can feel the truck slow way down and want to stop. BUT not if I come in 2WD . Now the 94 Jimmy If we do exactly the same thing(coming in the garage) in 4wd make the right turn you don't feel the slow down the jimmy acts no differently then it would in 2wd, now the 4wd drive does work on the jimmy nicley.

Could this be the front drive shafts?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:56 PM

One truck is a 94 Jimmy and the other is a what? Sounds like two different kinds of transfer cases. The one that pulls and slows has the front and rear drive shafts locked together when in 4wd. The other maybe has a clutch in the case or is an Auto-Trac type case? I dont know what the other vehicle is so I am assuming. Still sounds normal... just take it out of 4wd when on a hard dry surface.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Starting Member

The one that acting up is the blazer the shop says this is not normal for it to want to slow the truck down in this manner.Something is binding It may be the drive shafts.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with the driveshafts that would cause this. Sounds like normal operation of the 4wd system to me...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Starting Member

I took a close look at the shafts, Removed the front the hub and there ok. I notice the tires are poorly worn The camber is way positive. I believe this is the real cause

Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

That does not make much sense though as if it were a steering or alignment issue, it would happen the same in 4wd as it would in 2wd...

Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Do you have the same gear ratio's front and rear?

Quick Reply: 4wd Problem