2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4wd switching weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FrankenCub
Thanks guys, lots of good info.

Lesmyer, I just went out to test the switch and all the values were spot on, then plugged the switch back in and tested again at the tccm and the values were still spot on. Kinda glad although it may end up costing more money, I hate fixing corroded wiring lol.
You are welcome. So switch and wiring seem to be OK. Just curious... do you have the full 8 volts on the reference circuit?

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-02-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:53 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

FrankenCub: If you have the capability to solder, remove the 4x4 switches again, take the case apart to access the circuit board, reflow all the solder joints, especially at the connector pins.
Might help, might not, but only takes about 30 minutes of your time and a hot soldering iron....note iron not GUN. Do not use a soldering gun!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Beginning Member
FrankenCub is on a distinguished road

While I had it tore apart last night I thought about checking for the 8v ref but distracted myself and never did, I will check it today when I get back from town.
I'm not too sure I can solder anymore, well, anything that needs any accuracy. My hands shake too much from my back meds. I can take a look at it, if the joints aren't packed together like they are on the tccm I may be able to do the dash switch. What size soldering iron would you suggest ? I have a gun but my neighbor has a few smaller irons.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Beginning Member

With more help from Lesmyer, I'm confident that the tccm is bad. After checking reference voltages it's half what it should be and there is at least one suspect looking resister on the tccm board that don't look right. Will be ordering a new one hopefully this week

Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM

With more help from Lesmyer, I'm confident that the tccm is bad. After checking reference voltages it's half what it should be and there is at least one suspect looking resister on the tccm board that don't look right. Will be ordering a new one hopefully this week
Be sure to post back and let us know the final outcome.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry for the long wait, our fridge crapped out and we lost about $300 of meats so I had to recoup the money for the Blazer. Anywho, I finally got the new TCCM, installed it today, it still doesn't seem to shift like it should. I did go back into 2wd much without as much hassle as was giving me before, but I suspect I still have another problem. Either on the front axle or transfer case.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:58 AM

Sorry for the long wait, our fridge crapped out and we lost about $300 of meats so I had to recoup the money for the Blazer. Anywho, I finally got the new TCCM, installed it today, it still doesn't seem to shift like it should. I did go back into 2wd much without as much hassle as was giving me before, but I suspect I still have another problem. Either on the front axle or transfer case.
Is the reference voltage at the TCCM now ok?

Les

Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry Les, I haven't had a chance to check it again. I've been busy getting wood out for next winter, starting early this year, and getting my '71 GMC ready for a heart transplant which I started on today.
Had to run to town tonight and the damn Blazer put it's self in 4x4 Low when I was about to back out of my parking spot. As soon as I get my GMC done I guess I better be looking at the Blazer again. Now I also have a couple other problems showing their faces, hard start and squeaky control arm bushings (I think) but they will be an easy fix.

Last edited by FrankenCub; 05-25-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 AM

Let us know when you get back on it!

Les

Old 06-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

Well back at the Blazer again, my wife bumped the 4x4L and now it's stuck there. As long as I'm checking the right reference wire, I'm not getting 8v. Only a bit under 3 or something.
edit: just went back out to check the LT GRN/BLK at the switch on the dash and I have 7.86v there...

Last edited by FrankenCub; 06-02-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 4wd switching weirdness