2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 Front Axle Diagram Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 07:18 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Christine: Yes, it is #24, the washer with the teeth. And another yes that all the above comes in the thrust washer kit....I do not know why there are two #24 in the kit though.
I removed parts #1 through #24. I did not take everything apart though.

Within that 50 pages, is there a section that has the orientation of #24? The other two thrust washers I have the correct orientation.

Thank you "Christine To The Rescue"....

Old 10-26-2023, 04:38 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

OK. That scanning took much longer than I thought it would. I tried using a scanning app on my phone to scan the whole chapter.

I added to the scan character recognition so that you can search for words. From a quick read of it, I'd suggest looking for the words "shim" and "washer" as a start for where to find information you might need.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Axle, Front_r.pdf (16.87 MB, 47 views)
Old 10-27-2023, 04:56 AM

THANK YOU Christine!!!
I did a quick look through and saw reference to thrust washers.....have stored the file....will read through again.....lots of information there.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
THANK YOU Christine!!!
I did a quick look through and saw reference to thrust washers.....have stored the file....will read through again.....lots of information there.
Good luck and be sure to report back what you learn.

Old 10-28-2023, 10:57 AM

Well......went through the pages slowly and the only mention of thrust washers were to install the washer, use grease to hold in place....and this was in refence to washer #8...nothing at all about #24.
Lots of information regarding the pinion and setup...which is good should I ever need to replace the pinion oil seal.
Are there additional pages in the service manual for the front differential?

Thanks again,
LannyL81

Old 10-28-2023, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran

Well......went through the pages slowly and the only mention of thrust washers were to install the washer, use grease to hold in place....and this was in refence to washer #8...nothing at all about #24.
Lots of information regarding the pinion and setup...which is good should I ever need to replace the pinion oil seal.

Thanks again,
LannyL81
I'll double check but I'm pretty sure I got them all.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks again,
LannyL81
Right, so I looked again and what I scanned is the full section on servicing the front axle. I'm sorry there is not more information I can provide.

Does it appear to matter what orientation the spacer/washer are? You now have me wondering too!

I've also attached the TOC and the page from the index that I checked to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TOC and index page.pdf (668.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-29-2023, 05:53 PM

Appears that the thrust washer #24 sits on a ramp and how much the washer is inclined depends upon where the notches or teeth are at as they allow the washer to sit at different angle.
Wow...that pretty much makes very little sense if you have not seen this for yourself.......

I guess I would need a book on servicing this differential to get the information....the overall service manual is just not going to have it.

But I have a new problem....a new oil leak.....have started a new thread......

Old 10-29-2023, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran

Is the orientation of this thrust washer and thus its effective shimming effect set during assembly?

Old 10-30-2023, 05:50 AM

Guess so....somehow.
All I could see in changing the orientation of #24 was how the center hole's alignment would shift in reference to the passage behind it where the right side output shaft goes into. Again next to impossible to explain without actually seeing this.

On a side note: does that service manual show a list of part numbers? Looking for the part number for the actuator fork shaft seal; think it is #20 in the diagram above.

Last edited by LannyL81; 10-30-2023 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Front Axle Diagram Needed