2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 front shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:42 PM
marc.doucette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 front shaft

I just got back from brother inlaws garage.....heres the problem my 4 wheel drive has stopped working...everything worked fine no vacuum leaks and actuator is in tack....when i hit 4x4 button on dash i hear it click on right side in or by glove box which it used to do before and now the lights only flash and now i can't remember if front shaft should be turning at all times or not....also is there a relay of some sort somewheres that i should be checking and where is it

Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 front shaft

Do you have Auto4wd? If not, then run through the DIY article on OBD2 non-auto 4wd diagnostics found in the DIY section of the forum.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
astheru1nfa11s is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the front axle lock diaphram. its located under the battery. sometimes they dry rot and wont hold vaccumme pressure. if thats the case, your front axle wont lock and even if the transfer case engages (you should be able to hear it when you press the button)power wont be sent to the front wheels. i was only running 16 pounds of pressurewith mine off. so it may seem like theres no vaccumme leak.
mine wasnt working and i foudn that the hose had jsut fallen off. Check your TCCM fuse (fuse pannel obviously) and the relay which is on the firewall behind the glove box (that clicking noise) if you find that your diaphram is fine.Your swtich may be faulty as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 PM
marc.doucette is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
No its not auto its just plan ole 3 push button .Its not vacuum thats all a go....but i had to change transfer motor because it wasn't working....so now transfer case motor works but still no 4 wheel drive so i crawled under and took actuator cable that is hooked under battery and un hooked it at axle and i worked pin that is there and locked it in place with vise crips and moved truck on snow to see if it would spin front wheel but no way.....also all i get when i hit button on dash for 4x4 is lotsa clicking in on passenger side which i can't remember it doing like that before.....so now i'm lost i'm starting to think it may be in transfer case itself but if something broke in case would there not be something grinding or snapping.

Thanks Marc