2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 Still having probelms (HELP)!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 Still having probelms (HELP)!

Ok, i have a 99 ls 4 door, Ijust had it in the shop becausewhen i would go to engage into 4hi both the4hi and lo would blink and not engage, you could here everything moving underneath and in the dash but it wouldnt stay in 4hi or 4lo. They told me i have a bad vacuum switch so i had it replaced. Now i got it back and they told me i have a bad tcase motor.when i got it back i hit the switch for 4hi they still blink, but know i only hear the clicking in the dash, nothing underneath I also have to have it in neutral.When in any other gear the lights dont even blink its just stays lit up in 2hi.How would i go about on changing the tcase motor? Where is it located? and How can i find out if the 4x4 is or is not engaged? Thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 10:51 AM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 Still having probelms (HELP)!

Well the way I find out if something is is 4x4 is by going into sand and flooring it and have someone watch to see if they spin

Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Problems with the 4wd system have been discussed in detail in quite a few threads. Please try the search tool or the related threads menu below to see if your problem has been covered before. If not, please list everything that you have tried as a result of your searching and let us know.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

a pretty easy way (if u have enough jack stands) to just jack it up and see if the wheels and front drive shaft spin

Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Ok i checked the codes using the jump wire method, I got three flashes then a pause and then 2 flashes and a pause, then back to three. I read that two flashes are the encoder motor, What does the three flashes mean?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM
gpr13902 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem once in the middle of a snow/ice storm, and ran another 800 miles on ice in 2 wheel drive after several trips under the car and not being able to fix it. When I would push the 4X4 button (high or low) it would blink a few times, and revert to 2 wheel drive. I could hear a clicking in the passenger side kick panel. After repeated tries, it eventually wouldn't do anything, not even blink like it was trying, or click anymore.

After getting home and a few more hours troubleshooting, turns outit was a blown fuse in the engine compartment fuse panel (not the 4X4 fuse inside the cab). It's a 20 amp fuse labled "ATC" (Automatic Traction Control???), right next to the fog lamp relay (on my '98 LS). It's worth checking! Let me know!

Greg

Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks will do

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Sounds like you have 2 DTC's set in the TCCM.

The codes should just repeat over and over.

I have added to lastcoupe's thread with a description and the charts for the 4 dtc's for the non-automatic system --> OBD2 Non-Automatic Transfer Case Diagnostics

Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM

Ok i have checked the voltage and everything seem to be ok. What is concerning me is that when i hit the 4hi in park the light dosent even flash, the 2hi just stays lit. Same with the 4lo. But when i put it in neutral the 4hi blinks but know all you here is some clicking in the dash and thats it, nothing underneath. Before i took it to the shop to get the vacuum switch replaced. When i would hit the 4hi in park it would blink and you could here everything moving underneath,Know it does nothing. Can it be a fuse?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:04 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I just had a quick read through the link that swartlkk has posted for you and I see that there are 2 fuses to check, the atc and ctsy fuses.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Still having probelms (HELP)!