2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

8-Way Power seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Beginning Member
Rogue7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 8-Way Power seat not working

Yep, that was the problem. I pealed back the carpeting and pulled the wires out of the plastic trough. There is one red (orange?) wire that feeds into three addition wires of the same color. The connection was corroded, so I cut out the bad spot and spliced in some new wires. This gave me my 12VDC at the plugs. Reinstalled the seat, hooked it up and everything worked fine.

I wonder what the third power wire in this bundle feeds. Two go to the seat (movement and lumbar), but what does the third feed? I obviously must have something else that wasn't working correctly but now should be. I guess I will run across it eventually.

My son purchased this 1995 Blazer LT 4x4 recently, and I've been trying to figure out how to repair all the stuff that didn't work. The front axlewould notengage on the 4X4, and I found a vacuum hose had come loose on the vacuum diaphram mounted up under the battery. The rear window would not open, and I found that the latch has a little plastic piece that connects to the soleniod had broken. We found a replacement at the local Napa store, and that works now as well. The power drivers window would not roll down, and I replaced the motor to fix that one. The power mirrors don't work, and I assume it is the switch since the switch looks to be in bad condition. I'll get to that later. Next on the list is the rear wiper motor, as it won't start moving on it's own. Once you tap it, it will take off and go. I pulled it out, cleaned/lubricated it, but it still has the same problem. Replacement motor on the way. I also had to fix a problem with the rear wiper washer fluid, and I found that the line had come loose right under the rear carpet trim panel where it meets the tailgate.

All in all, not a bad deal on the purchase, as everything has been relatively easy to fix, so far. It's a good first vehicle for him, and it gives me a chance to work on something again. This forum has been invalueable in steering me in the right direction. Thanks to all that have contributed.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

One other thing to note on the power driver's seat. On my 1995, there are two hot leads that feed the seat, one for the movement switch, and one for the lumbar. You should have 12.5vdc feeding both plugs. The movement switch is a pain, so be careful if you decided to remove it and take it apart. It has a bunch of little copper plates the will fall out when you open it. The wires out of the movement switch that feed the motors are both hot wires, one for forward movement and one for reverse movement. Ohm out the switch and make sure that it is working correctly. Moving the movement switch in one direction removes the hot from one leg of the motor allowing it to move in the opposite direction. Also be careful with the mounting plate that the switch plugs into, as it is easy to crack it (as I did with mine).

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your pose if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member

One other thing to note on the power driver's seat. On my 1995, there are two hot leads the feed the seat, one for the movement switch, and one for the lumbar. You should have 12.5vdc feeding both plugs. The movement switch is a pain, be careful if you decided to remove it and take it apart. It has a bunch of little copper plates the will fall out when you open it. The wires out of the movement switch that feed the motors are both hot wires, one for forward movement and one for reverse movement. Ohm out the switch and make sure that it is working correctly. Moving the movement switch in one direction removes the hot from one leg of the motor allowing it to move in the opposite direction. Also be careful with the mounting plate that the switch plugs into, as it is easy to crack it (as I did with mine).

Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Beginning Member
buck is an unknown quantity at this point

The driver's power seat in my Blazer quit working recently. The lumbar works fine just the seat adjustments don't work. Can you repair the corroded connection without removing the seat? I pulled back the carpet and seen the plastic trough. I didn't dig into the trough because I want to find out where about the connection is first(trough is SUPER Sealed down) and it was about 10* outside. Is the connection in question just in front of the seat?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

look into that plastic sleeth. There probably lies your issue. Look for an orange wire with issues. You can figure it out from there. Let us know! Jerry[:'(]

Old 01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Starting Member
Beckyj636 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is what was wrong with mine too

Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Beginning Member

"Can you repair the corroded connection without removing the seat?"

That's a good question, I suppose you could as long as you can pull the carpet back enough. I pulled my seat, because I wasn't sure what the problem was.

Rogue7

Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

I Had this issue recently as well, but due to experience I already knew what to do.

"Can you repair the corroded connection without removing the seat?"

you "Could"... but then again you "Could" eat a cheeseburger through a soda straw...

reach under the seat, unplug the seat, remove four Bolts(three Nuts and a Bolt)... life is ALLOT easier.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer eating my cheeseburgers straight up-no straw thus.....done 50 or so of these repairs and never pulled a seat. Choice is yours-seat out may allow more room but I get paid(when I do) by the hour and it's quicker(as weird as that may seem)/cheaper for a customer not to pay me to pull the seat. Your situation may be different-working for yourself. Jerry

Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
buck is an unknown quantity at this point

Update, I was able to tear into my blazer over the weekend and fix the bad connection. I tore up the carpet under the driver's feet as mentioned but found nothing! No spliced wire there!! I then removed the driver's seat, unpluged the wire harness for the seats. After pulling up as much carpet as I could, I trace the Orange 12ga power wire and found the break easily as I gently pulled on the wire it came out!! The spliced seam on my 2000 Blazer is under the carpet between the back 2 driver seat bolts! I used a shrink tube butt connector and made that a 2 wire joint, because there was water in the wire track!! I dried it all up good and double shrink wrapped it. I moved the 3 wire connection to a higher area in the floor(between front 2 seat bolts)all works now.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member
Skibum458 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just fixed the same problem on my '02. What was happening was that my battery was dying as well after 2 days. This is the second time I had to fix the same problem...