2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer - need help with: interior lights, rear wiper, AC, and more

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Aurora900 is on a distinguished road
Question 95 Blazer - need help with: interior lights, rear wiper, AC, and more

I'm new here and not really sure where to post this... but I recently inherited a 95 s10 blazer from a friend in terrible shape and have been working on getting it restored to my liking.

On the ceiling of the car there's 4 lamps with adjustable angles, 2 of them are missing the thing that holds the bulb (not just the little black bulb holder, but the diffuser as well). I was wondering what the proper name for that item is and where I could find them.

Next, the rear wiper seems to be malfunctioning. The motor for it in the parts store here is over $50, so I was wondering if there's anything I might be able to do other than replacing it. It runs if you coax it along, but it keeps getting stuck in the middle. Any suggestions?

Next up, the heat/AC. When I turn it on to any mode, I head a loud, sort of grinding sound, coming from somewhere. The best explanation I could give is as if you took a metal rod and stuck it in the blades of a fan. Can I assume this is whatever motor/fan is responsible for blowing air through the vents? And if so, is it relatively easy to change?

Last (for now) is the reservoir tank for the washer fluid. I was pretty sure it's leaking from the grommets that hold the pumps onto the tank... However, today I noticed washer fluid leaking from the rear wiper. Is it possible that the pump is allowing fluid through and leaking out from the pressure of the rest of the fluid on the pump? Also, the dealer wants $11 each for the grommets... anyone have a better place to get those?

Thanks for your time,
Danielle

Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

There are several used Blazer internet places to check-out for parts for the overhead console lights, rear wiper motor, washer bottle gromments. Sounds like the wiper motor needs new brushes which I doubt you would be able to easily find.

The HVAC problem could be something is actually hitting the fan blades or could be the motor itself. Difficult to know without hearing it. I believe the motor is accessible under the hood, but not sure...never had to change one.

The washer fluid leaking at the rear....bet it is the plastic line connection at the tail or lift gate. Which do you have? Just a matter of getting to this connection and fixing it.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2010, 01:39 PM

I'll google those sites for parts. I was hoping there was something like that around

I have a lift gate, looks like its easy to get into, seems to be only 2 screws holding the panel on inside. I'm going to take that apart in a bit and see what I can find.

Thanks a bunch LannyL81

Old 10-10-2010, 02:20 AM

Okay, so I took apart the lift gate and couldn't find anything leaking with the connections for the washer fluid... however, I do think I figured out how/why its leaking from the rear wiper.

The when the washer fluid reservoir is filled and the lift gate is up, all lines coming from the washer fluid end at an elevation above the level of the fluid. However, when you lower the lift gate, the rear wiper is at a lower elevation than the fluid. Gravity dictates that this is bad. Though one must assume that Chevy didn't leave such a terrible design flaw unchecked... is there anything in the washer system that is supposed to prevent gravity from drawing the fluid out? Is there something wrong here, or do I just have to remember not to leave my lift gate down for long periods of time?