2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM
bigdogg is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer won't start

95 Blazer 4.3L Vin-w won't start.
Vehicle ran in 2009, have been trying to get running since. Tested fuel pressure with key on at 58 psi and while cranking at 62 psi. Tested ignition system, getting fire out of coil wire. Checked timing at #1 cylinder on compression stroke at TDC. Pulled distributor cap and rotor was pointing at #4 plug wire. Pulled timing cover to see if jumped timing. Aligned balance shaft and timing gears with marks touching each other on both sets of gears. Did not jump timing. This is #4 cylinder on compression stroke and at TDC. Looked at distributor rotor and it was pointing at #1 plug wire. Pulled distributor to see if roll pin was sheared on drive gear. Roll pin was not sheared and gear looked fine. Why was my distributor approximately 180 degrees out of sync?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road

Do you have the vertical distributor cap? The one with the plug wires pointing up.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigdogg
95 Blazer 4.3L Vin-w won't start.
Vehicle ran in 2009, have been trying to get running since. Tested fuel pressure with key on at 58 psi and while cranking at 62 psi. Tested ignition system, getting fire out of coil wire. Checked timing at #1 cylinder on compression stroke at TDC. Pulled distributor cap and rotor was pointing at #4 plug wire. Pulled timing cover to see if jumped timing. Aligned balance shaft and timing gears with marks touching each other on both sets of gears. Did not jump timing. This is #4 cylinder on compression stroke and at TDC. Looked at distributor rotor and it was pointing at #1 plug wire. Pulled distributor to see if roll pin was sheared on drive gear. Roll pin was not sheared and gear looked fine. Why was my distributor approximately 180 degrees out of sync?

I revived another '95 Blazer under similar circumstances to yours but found the poppet valves (injectors) to be non-functional after having had the vehicle setup for several years . Did the engine run when You flipped the dis 180 ? Did You check : EGR valve will most likely be full of carbon chunks holding the plunger valve open and need to be removed and cleaned . Check plugs and ignition wires for proper firing order to cap ... is the little module under the distributor cap in the good condition ? No corrosion or rust

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

I'm pretty sure you have the vertical distributor cap. Here is why I asked. If you mess with the timing in any way you must unplug the single wire on the back of the distributor prior to attempting to start the engine. If you don't the computer will be trying to control the engine with the last known setting. The computer needs to reset don't plug it back in until you get it to running smoothly. As for the rotor pointing to the wrong cylinder; who knows what you did last. I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday. Start fresh and do it correctly. Check fire,fuel then timing.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chevy33
I'm pretty sure you have the vertical distributor cap. Here is why I asked. If you mess with the timing in any way you must unplug the single wire on the back of the distributor prior to attempting to start the engine. If you don't the computer will be trying to control the engine with the last known setting. The computer needs to reset don't plug it back in until you get it to running smoothly. As for the rotor pointing to the wrong cylinder; who knows what you did last. I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday. Start fresh and do it correctly. Check fire,fuel then timing.

To correctly set the timing on the vertical post wire style engines it must be in bypass mode - there is a quick disconnect single wire at the computer located inside on the passenger side under the glove box . Drop the panel and it's right there . The base timing is 0*

Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM

I have the horizontal distributor cap. The wires point left & right. As far as the timing,the vehicle ran then quit. After that,all that i have done is verify that the distributor was 180 degrees out of phase with the timing gear assembly. Also,i marked the rotor to the distributor housing & then removed the distributor to see if the roll pin was sheared & it was not. But, before removing the distributor,i had not touched any of the timing assembly.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM

I replaced and tested the spider injector assembly in April 2010. The engine did not run. The EGR valve was replaced and all carbon was removed in July 2008 when the vehicle was running. I have removed and checked the EGR valve since the vehicle has not been running in 2010. The EGR valve was not stuck open and there was no carbon visible. The module under the distributor cap(cam sensor) looks good, no corrosion or rust. Replaced distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, ignition coil, and ignition coil driver module. All parts were replaced with borg warner brand and I double checked firing order to the distributor cap. I have not corrected stabbed the distributor because I dont know why it is 180 degree out of sync.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Your timing was not out then. With the horizontal distributor cap, when on tdc#1 the rotor should be pointing towards the #4 cylinder. Look on the top edge of the distributor. Where the cap meets the distributor. There should be the number 6 formed into that plastic material. When #1 cylinder is at tdc, the rotor is pointing at this 6. That is the proper timing for the horizontal distributor cap. Many posts here on proper timing setting.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Check this attach:

Attached Thumbnails 95 Blazer won't start-img_dist_cyl_firingorder.jpg