2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 CPI Woes (still)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not getting any codes now. But bear in mind this is a 95 with OBD 1.5. Before I changed the map sensor that code threw. Changed it drove it and still havent got it back. The TPS will pop up every now and then but its a brand new tps and the tps wouldnt be causing all my problems. Im waiting on taxes then Im getting a fuel pressure gauge to do the leak down test and be 100% positive thats the problem before I shell out 3 bills for a new brand spanken nedw spider

Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Well I finaly picked up a fuel pressure tester tonight. Going to do a leak down test tomorrow and go from there. Hopefully Ill get this thing figured out.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM

Pressure test results.
Key on- 60lbs then drops back to 0
Running- Bounces all around 55 then shut the truck back off and it drops off to 0 instantly. So theres is obviously a leak somewhere and I think its my JY spider I got. Guess Ill be taking that back asap and trying to get another.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You rarely get your money's worth out of a used spider. The opportunity for leaks is VERY high. And if you didn't replace the 'nut kit' (internal lines) when you replaced the spider, you likely caused another leak while fixing the preexisting one.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Yeah a new nut kit is def on the list. Ive been fighting this thing for so long now but at least its still running. I just dont have the 3 bills and another half a bill for a new spider and nut kit. Moneys a little tight right now.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are several reman units available on RockAuto.com that are considerably less than $300.

Dorman 55163 - nut kit - $35
Standard Motor Products FJ226R - reman CPI spider - $148

Old 02-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Yeah I have issues ordering stuff offline. I know people do it all the time but Ive had bank info stolen before so I stay away from online buying.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Well I ordered a new spider (remaned) a new distributor (reman also) and the intake nut kit. Itll all be here timorrow so I have a busy day after I get out of class at noon. Hopefully this will take away all my problems replacing all this.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Well after all that its fixed. New distributor was a bit of a pain but the rest a breeze (considering Ive had this thing apart more times than I want to count). The only thing that isnt done is the nut kit because Im waiting on it to get here. Should be here tomorrow so Ill replace that (It was supposed to get here today) and I need to put a new gasket in there to and Ill close it up for good tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for the few of you that tried to help me in the end and all but it was a bad spider and distributor combo so now it runs nice and smooth agian and I actualy have my power back!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

As mentioned earlier, you can check fuel pressure and leakdown, it will tell you immediately if there's a problem. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running: pressure should be 55psi to 61psi and must remain above 50psi for 10 minutes. If you have a problem with excessive leakdown, the leak could be in the plenum or it could be in the tank. The pump must be isolated from the plenum, (with a shut off valve) immediately after it pressurizes the system. If pressure still drops, the leak is in the plenum. If not, the leak is in the tank.

Quick Reply: 95 CPI Woes (still)