2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 blazer another starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
tonyjrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 blazer another starting problem

When I first go to start it at the beginning of the day it starts fine, but when I run it and then shut if off for about 10 minutes and try to start it up again it just keeps turning over and eventually starts. The longer it sits the better it will start up. If I drive it then go back out after two hours it will start up again fine. I've put a new fuel pump, fuel filter, starter and selonoid, dist. cap and rotor, as well as plugs and wires. Anyone have any ideas? I saw that some guy on here ran injector cleaner through his, I'm going to try that today. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 96 blazer another starting problem

Tony,

Based on my own past starting issues, I believe your problem is either your starter or your fuel pump. Just because you bought new parts doesn't mean they weren't defective, so you should run tests to make sure. The starter test will require a voltmeter, but DO NOT attempt to test this without consulting a service manual first, as the starter gives huge (dangerous) voltage levels.If this scares you, then it's probably worth it tolet a shop test it for you. If you have a good battery that suddenly dies, this could also be a sign.This happened to me; I had to replace the battery the same time I replaced the starter.

The fuel pump test involves a fuel pressure gauge, available for ~$30 from your local parts store. The test can be done in five minutes. Some fuel pumps fail suddenly, while others gradually die, as mine did. The fuel pressure test is the only sure way to see ifthe pumphas a problem. Use the Search feature to findinstructions.

Also, we can't help you but so much unless you are more specific about the year of your vehicle, as well as whether it's a 2- or 4-door, and 2WD or 4x4. These things make a difference when it comes to certain parts and fixes. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member
uberfiend is an unknown quantity at this point

Your problems could be caused by problems in a number of places. When I had this problem with my '95 it turned out to be the spider, but Psychropod is right - I'd start by pressure testing the fuel pimp first. Also, the first time I put a new fuel pump in my Blazer, I broke part of it on install (although I didn't know it at the time). It added to other problems I was having with the fuel system. I had to replace it again after just a couple of months. [:@]

Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the starter was 12 volts?????Battery condition, including battery voltage during cranking, plays a vital role in starting an engine. Battery voltage that drops too low during cranking may prevent the electric fuel pump from reaching optimum speed, resulting in reduced fuel delivery. This may be incorrectly diagnosed as a fuel pump problem. My battery took a crap on me last week and had thesame symptoms and for around $250-$300, I would hope the fuel pump wasn't defective.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Starting when the engine is cold, but not when it is hot is also a classic sign of a bad ignition control module (ICM). You can have it tested, just be sure they test it around 6-10 times in a row to make sure it gets hot enough to show if it's acting up.