2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer Has Spark, Fuel, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member
Zendik is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Blazer Has Spark, Fuel, No Start

Hey guys,
I have scoured this forum, another forum and our shop mechanic for a fix and well....

96 Blazer 4.3L V6 CPI
We have spark, pulled two plugs from both sides of the engine and got spark. Fuel, we reached around at the pressure test valve and gas shot out if it when I pushed the pin in. The plugs smelled like fuel. I have no pressure gauge. The spark wasn't a strong blue spark but more of a red to yellow spark.

No smell of fuel under the hood.

I'm quoting this from another forum as it matches my problem:
When I try to start it wont turn over. I can try starting 5x and nothing but when I try to start it and turn the key all the way off it sputters a little bit. Almost like a backfire but not really.
We tried starting fluid with no luck.

I have no voltmeter.

Thanks is advance for any help....

Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

You need to test the fuel pressure with a test gauge, the minimum required pressure to open the injector is 43 PSI and to run it needs more. So just because fuel comes out when you push in the ball valve doesnt mean anything. Also what brand of parts do you have in for the secondary ignition?? Anything other than blue spark is a problem. These engines require AC Delco or Delphi ignition parts or else they will act up. So im almost 100% sure your problem lies somewhere in there.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Beginning Member
Zendik is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
You need to test the fuel pressure with a test gauge, the minimum required pressure to open the injector is 43 PSI and to run it needs more. So just because fuel comes out when you push in the ball valve doesnt mean anything. Also what brand of parts do you have in for the secondary ignition?? Anything other than blue spark is a problem. These engines require AC Delco or Delphi ignition parts or else they will act up. So im almost 100% sure your problem lies somewhere in there.
I have no idea what plugs and such I put in there but it has run just fine until now. Other than AC Delco or Delphi ignition parts would not last very long then?

Looks like I have no choice but to get the pressure gauge.
I am dogged by time for sure.
I think my best bet is to grab a beater at the auction then take these steps slowly, pressure gauge, etc...

Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member
prelude1897 is on a distinguished road

This is exactly what's happening with my 01 blazer. Changed out a lot of parts and the damn thing starts for 2 secs and dies. I'm bout ready to chop it up, blow it up, or set the thing on fire

Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 AM
JohnAfton76 is on a distinguished road

It sounds to me like timing or plugged fuel filter.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by prelude1897
This is exactly what's happening with my 01 blazer. Changed out a lot of parts and the damn thing starts for 2 secs and dies. I'm bout ready to chop it up, blow it up, or set the thing on fire
If it runs fine then dies then its probably your security system shutting it down because you unplugged the battery or something. So you have to do a pass lock reset. Not hard

Old 10-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Beginning Member
prelude1897 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
If it runs fine then dies then its probably your security system shutting it down because you unplugged the battery or something. So you have to do a pass lock reset. Not hard
How do i bypass the security? i have to turn the key a couple of times then it fires up for through 2-3 sec before finally dying. I've been told its possibly security or possibly timing. im just to the point of stop dumping money in it and selling as a parts car

Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 AM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

prelude1897 you sound like you have no patience an that's what these vehicles are all about not to be rude or anything but, but with a little time, money and research these trucks can be pretty BA an long lasting

Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Yeah, instead of throwing parts at it and hoping the problem is solved you need to actually take a second to research. This forum is an awesome resource so please take advantage of it. Like the OP said

First what parts did you change? did you take the distributor out? If you did i can help you with timing, but do you have another thread with this problem so we can discuss there?

But anyways what does it run like when it starts? have you done a fuel pressure check? what kind of ignition parts are you running? have you changed the fuel filter? do you have a vacuum leak? All questions you need to ask, i would bet you only needed at the most a 50$ part when your problems started happening. Just like all the other people on here who who have throw 1000$+ into a problem and face palmed when they did some research and found out how simple the problem was.

I also didnt say bypass the security system i said reset it. Look on here for how to reset the security system. It take about 2 minutes. If that doest solve anything then test the fuel pressure, if you get good numbers (60+ PSI with key on engine OFF and it not drop below 55 after 10 min) then check spark. I am 100% sure your problem is in there somewhere, because you said it takes a while to start i would imagine its probably in your fuel or ignition.

You also might want to test the TPS, clean the MAF and EGR. If you use the right parts to begin with then your fix would have been really cheap. Not trying to be harsh, but its just the amount of people that come on here ranting about how fed of they are because nothing is working after spending thousands on crap parts because they cant do some simple research is insane.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 10-30-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Starting Member
bobby099 is on a distinguished road

i might be wrong but have you checked your cap and rotor? im having the same problems you are having but im getting spark good fuel pressure my 97 runs just not when it rains so i think its the cap and rotor.

Quick Reply: 96 Blazer Has Spark, Fuel, No Start