2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 blazer help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 AM
96mgc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 blazer help

Have a 96 S10 Blazer 4.3lt vin W with several issues but no SES light:

1) when gas it sometimes bogs out or when letting down from speeds from 15mph to 35mph it bogs down almost dies. Will do this even when not in gear if you throttle up 1200 RPM to 2500 RPM but not all the time either in gear or not.

did:
cap /rotor /wires /plugs (what a joke dont think was ever replaced)
IAC (was bad)
intake (was leaking)
FPR (didn't want to tear into again to replace later)
vac lines (dry rotted)
Fuel filter (dont know if ever replaced)

2) Transmission does not like to shift to 3rd at 20 to 25 (or is this2nd)it revs up like it kicked down have to throttle it up til it hits 30 to 35 and let off throttle before it will drop in and it drops in hard (thunks) then when you throttle up again it will jump in and out of ranges.

Did:
checked fluid (looked alittle dark but full)
Kick down cable (not loose was fine)

I did check for codes, there are none. No SES light. 4x4 does not make a dif, still does either 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Default RE: 96 blazer help

[:@]Well figured the trany issue is its slippin. Looks like a replace or rebuild there. [:@]

I was hopeful that it would be just a plugged up filter or a loose wire.

Would that lean into the engine issues? Seeing as it does have the lockup converter (TCC)? Not sure if it would act the same as a hydro-matic like you find in the transports and grand ams, as when the TCC goes bad in those it can effect the engine.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be slippage, but thats what I thought too.
Could be your alternator though! Have it tested in your rig with all accessories on. I had a burnt one, that would pass bench tests, but couldnt keep up, and couldnt power things like trans solonoids, nobody would touch my truck cause computer was nutz theye told me to replace it, lol. 50$ alternator solved all the probs.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM

question on the trany, from what I have seen the interchange only shows a 96 & 97 4L60.

My question is what tranys can I use and years?

Thanks