2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer problems after another.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Blazer problems after another.

Hey guys i haven't been on here for a while. But right now i have serious problems with my blazer well gave it to my sister but anyways, it keeps having problems starting the car cranks but takes a while to start, i think its a bad or clogged fuel filter, i already have the replacement for the filter but when i went down to replace it it has both sides stripped, i tried pretty much everything to try and loosing it but it made it worse now its completely rounded on both sides. Any ideas on how to get it to loose. i might just have to replace the entire fuel lines but i don't really have the money for it.
Also now there is a really bad whinning noise when i drive the faster i drive the louder it gets, i am thinking the bearings need greasing but i am not so sure could that cause a whinning noise, also the brakes feel really hard when pressed, i am also thinking that the abs is starting to tighten the brakes which i am not really sure about. I am no mechanic. I dont have time to take it anywhere, here is a question Can the ABS cause the brakes to tighten? and in which create the whinning noise, please help me. like i said i gave it my sister still running smooth and now its all problems.
Thank you in advance, any ideas will help.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Lanny is on a distinguished road

As far as the ff is concerned, penetrating oil and tap the connections aggressively. Remove the skid plate that covers the transfer case that will give you some extra room to work. Vice grips are your new best friend. Once you have remover the old ff. Using a hack saw carefully remove JUST the flare on both sides. Slide new nuts on to the lines and re flare the ends. You should have enough play in the lines to get it all back together. If not simply lossen the first mount after the ff.
Don't forget new o rings!
Good luck report back!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Lanny is on a distinguished road

As far as the whinning. Start with a bearing repack . Replace any bearings you find to be fouled.
2wd or 4wd? If its 4wd you may even want to replace the front hub assemblies all together. Unfortunately they are a little steep. They range between $80 and $100 each. On a side note. Bad hubs may be tripping the ABS.
Just a thought.

Last edited by Lanny; 10-08-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
spittybays

If your sister was monkeying around with the 4x4 buttons your front axel could be engaged or half engaged. If you want you can take the battery out dissconect the actuator and push the cable all the way in. Bet this stops your whinning.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for all of your replies, i just didn't know what to do with it so i finally ended taking it to the mechanic, he said it might run about 800 dollars or so, he's gonna replace the fuel pump, and filter. Full tune up. Diagnose and repair the abs system. and a few more things that is wrong with my truck. Hopefully he gets it done by the end of the this week. Thank you all again.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

The hard starting could be due to a leaky spider assembly, so before you go throw parts at it make sure you or the mech tests the fuel pressure. Fuel pump might be perfectly fine. And my guess is the Mech is going to put a crappy Airtex pump in there and in 6 months you're gunna be back on here wondering why it doesnt start. So just a warning to help keep the headache away.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:46 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel filter problem is an easy fix

Get a tube cutter cut the lines as close to the fittings as possible.get a piece of 6-8 inch rubber hose and an universal inline filter.Get a flare tool put fare on both ends of the metal line.put the rubber hose on each end of the tube and secure with hose clamps.Put your filter in the middle of the 2 hose peices and clamp each end down.It will cost you total about $12 done.get a second opinion on having your fuel pump replaced $800 is a bit steep for what your mechanic wants to charge you.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
The hard starting could be due to a leaky spider assembly, so before you go throw parts at it make sure you or the mech tests the fuel pressure. Fuel pump might be perfectly fine. And my guess is the Mech is going to put a crappy Airtex pump in there and in 6 months you're gunna be back on here wondering why it doesnt start. So just a warning to help keep the headache away.
Hey thanks for reply, well I actually bought an ac delco pump I heard they were good brand and I also bought the spider all from dealer here in co. Spend some $ but o well. The filter I did buy from autozone though might not last that long since it was a cheap brand the only one they had in stock. As for the whinning noise the mech said that the abs had locked up, I guess he's gona replace the front callipers and the abs sensors in all wheels. I thought it only had 2 sensors up front but it is a 4x4. As for the hard start he replaced the fuel pump spider assembly and filter and it starts right up now he didn't actually check anything before that he just replaced and if it still didn't start he was gona diagnose after that. all went well I guess I still don't know if it was a bad fuel pump or not. He also said I have an ac leak that I didn't know. Since I actually don't drive that truck anymore. But anyways thank you all for the comments.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
spittybays

He was gonna dignose it after, huh, I really don't like this guy. I'm happy for you that it's running.
I have never heard of an abs engagement described as whinning. Hard brakes and whistling maybe booster line?
All this change then diagnose is some scary stuff to hear.
How much was the pump and spider from the dealer?

Last edited by spittybays; 10-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
He was gonna dignose it after, huh, I really don't like this guy. I'm happy for you that it's running.
I have never heard of an abs engagement described as whinning. Hard brakes and whistling maybe booster line?
All this change then diagnose is some scary stuff to hear.
How much was the pump and spider from the dealer?
Thanks for reply. Well he's actually a really good mechanic. I known him for years he usually does the work in my cars and always does a good job. I did f**d up though since I told him I knew the pump and filter were bad lol stupid me. About the brakes I guess the calipers were stuck and the brake pids were grinding against the rotors, I actually haven't seen the car since I saw it running on Saturday so its been quite some time now. The fuel pump was 385$ wo tax and the spider 550$ w/o tax total came to be 1015$ this the first time I bought from a dealer I think they ripped me off but o well its done. I talked with the mech today and I guess there is a bent bar bellow the motor, the one hold by two screws with grommets one on each side. He's going to relace that also. There is also a short somewhere he says keeps blowing the fuse for the dome lights, I knew that but never paid too much attention. I'm starting to hate this truck now, well I don't drive it no more my sis does. Sucks I'm the one paying for it to get it fix.

Quick Reply: 96 Blazer problems after another.