2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 blazer problems.. never ending. please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Beginning Member
lucky 13 performance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 blazer problems.. never ending. please help

I have a 96 blazer 4.3 vortec 4x4.
73,000miles.

in the past year ive replaced the lower and upper ball joints on both sides.
replaced the spider with the modern multi injector one.
battery, waterpump, thermostat.

truck was running great for a month or 2 after the injector change.
now heres my list of problems.
No check engine light.

main one:

truck seems to be running hot. temp gauge seems normal in the running temp but seems to get up to temp much faster then it used to. and it smells hot after driving it. Cat ticks.
also the truck once its gets up to temp starts to stutter when you give it throttle over like 25mph. its not very violent but you can hear it in the motor almost like a slight consistant knocking noise.

other ones:
4x4 stopped working. went to engage it and you can hear it click on the front like it is engaging but it doesnt.

and the heat controller will only work on the defrost setting and off. you can still feel heat coming through the defrost vent even when off but the fan that blows it only works on the defrost setting. all others dont work.

i bought this truck after having sport cars and always wanting a blazer and its been a complete nightmare and money pit.
any help would be great.

- matt

Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 AM
ACrepairman is on a distinguished road

The hot smell maybe oil burning on the exhaust from a leak.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
wolfcat812 is on a distinguished road

the 4x4 and heat control problem are from a vacuum problem the 4x4 actuator and heat control work off the same vacuum as for the overheating problm it could be a bad thermostat or clogged radiator you can usually check the rad by letting it get up to temp then feeling the rad to make sure its the same temp at the top and bottom but make sure its not running when you do that it probably wouldnt hurt to flush the system also. you might want to check the timing also that could make the ticking noise.

Last edited by wolfcat812; 01-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by wolfcat812
the 4x4 and heat control problem are from a vacuum problem the 4x4 actuator and heat control work off the same vacuum as for the overheating problm it could be a bad thermostat or clogged radiator you can usually check the rad by letting it get up to temp then feeling the rad to make sure its the same temp at the top and bottom but make sure its not running when you do that it probably wouldnt hurt to flush the system also. you might want to check the timing also that could make the ticking noise.
i checked some of the vacuum lines and one has a tear in it. so i will replace that and hopefully that will fix my heat and 4x4 issue.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member

i taped up the hole in the hose and now the heat and 4x4 work properly. ( 4x4 is very loud almost grinding) though

Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Check your fluid level in your transfer case. If the fluid hasn't been changed by that mileage then it is over due. A low fluid level or very worn fluid can cause the grinding as well as that "hot smell" you mentioned.

Bad or low fluid in the transfer case also has the possibility to cause your stutter on acceleration.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by awe341
Check your fluid level in your transfer case. If the fluid hasn't been changed by that mileage then it is over due. A low fluid level or very worn fluid can cause the grinding as well as that "hot smell" you mentioned.

Bad or low fluid in the transfer case also has the possibility to cause your stutter on acceleration.
sorry for my ignorance but how do i check it

Old 01-18-2010, 09:28 PM
wolfcat812 is on a distinguished road

theres 2 bolts on the rear of the transfer case lower for draining upper for filling also make sure the noise isnt coming from the front diff if the actuator is bad or not getting enough vauum the engagement gear in the diff will grind.