2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer starting problems plus

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
bhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Blazer starting problems plus

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer 4.3 L auto. Recently it started to make a squeaking noise when accelerating or revving the engine. Even more recently, it has been having trouble starting...it turns over fine but is makes a horrible loud noise and sometimes takes a couple times to turn off ignition and try again to get it to start. I don't crank on it. I had the serpentine belt replaced less than a year ago. I'm afraid its going to stop starting all together soon. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could have an alternator problem or possibly a bad tensioner that is not putting enough tension on the belt causing a charging problem. The squealing is a clear indication that the belt is slipping on something and the lack of charge as indicated by the failure to turn over on occasion leads me in that direction as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Thanks so much for your reply swartlkk. Its not a charging problem. It has no loss of power and turns over but its very loud like a really loud grinding noise. I tried to look it up in a Chilton manual and the troubleshooting part says it might be pinion or flywheel teeth that are possibly worn or broken. It says to remove the cover at the rear of the engine to inspect but I have no clue where that would be. There are no illustrations. I'm not sure if its that or the starter. Do you have any idea of how to inspect the pinion or flywheel teeth?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Beginning Member
cdw78 is on a distinguished road

You can drop the starter out to see, at least, some of the flywheel teeth. Maybe the starter is sticking and causing it....
I also with Swart, could be like a belt or a pulley(S) bearing.

Last edited by cdw78; 07-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They are talking about the starter & flex plate. You should be able to take a look at both by removing the dust shield off from the front of the transmission, just behind the oil pan.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Thanks guys. Now I know where to start to look for the issue anyways. Glad I found this forum. Very helpful!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Administrator

You still need to check the belt/tensioner in my opinion. The starter shouldn't stay engaged once the engine has been started, provided that part of the starter is working properly.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 PM

I honestly have no idea how to do that swartlkk. Any pointers or a site to look for directions? I have no problem trying to fix things myself. I actually prefer it if I can do it.