General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

'What I did this summer'. Plus statistical Blazer fails.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Default 'What I did this summer'. Plus statistical Blazer fails.

Some of you might have noticed I'm absent. It's not I've lost interest, it's that I've been working on a major house renovation for a family member and it sucks up all my time and problem solving brainpower.. what's left of it.
Dont attempt this at home.. especially if you are putting vaulted ceiling in a sixties house, and it has aluminum wiring.
On the forum front, during that time.. the Bravadiva has had transmission rebuild last month, - rev fail due to sun shell break, and we're picking her up this AM after having LIM gasket replace.

I cant stress enough the importance of finding a good shop even if you plan to do all work yourself. I did that by reference from my brother, and that helps with the costs.
It also helps that I know the car and the shop knows I know the car.. no bull**** necessary on either side.
The full trans rebuild with upgrade of internals was $1750, the LIM with Felpro kit and cooling system flush plus oil change: $660 incl tax.
- I consider both MORE than reasonable for quality work.
At one year Bravadiva has cost $3000 {plus tax/title} and about $3000 in repairs. Almost exactly what I warned my wife it could.
But there's good news in this. Because of confidence in both shops, I dont expect those problems again. Plus if there is a prob I have a one-year warranty.

IOW, I have more confidence in the truck's reliability than I had before... especially when knowing the LIM gasket WILL fail, just wondering when.
- And the wife is one that found it "what is that orangey puddle under the driver side?"
Probably be back in Sept or so

Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Welcome back Foggy! JK, sorry about the problems, those suck. Glad to see you haven't forgotten us blazer folk.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:00 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

UPDATE: So.. despite - or maybe karma from - my smugness at having a shop I can trust and REALLY reasonable for LIM gasket replacement AND getting slotted in so it was done the very next day..
Total incl tax for Felpro new style, coolant flush and coolant plus oil change: $611

..I arrived home after the OL to find a puddle of coolant on the driveway.

The rad tank was cracked or gasket between tank and core bad. I called shop back and told them.
"Well, sometimes a flush does that." I gritted my teeth because it's true. AND he'd showed me the old gasket.. it was in little bitty brittle pieces.
He did his best to make me a good offer to fix/replace the tank but that was about $200, inclusive.

Rockauto has Delphi rad for $104 with discount, 3-5 day ship. Shop guy told me he couldnt touch that.. best he could offer was Spectra Premium for $128. And of course 1 hour labor.
Since I drive mostly old cars, I have replaced quite a few. I did ask how difficult the AT and oil cooler fittings were. He said they arent a problem just watch for the o-rings.

The old lady is bitching, of course. I told her flat out that even if the LIM gasket wasnt leaking it was inevitable and now we didnt have to worry. Told her same applies to rad and that it is really inexpensive, historically.